Floating Markets


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap » Knar
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

MikeMikeMike

In the boat going to the floating market
Well up again this morning and off to Banteay Srei temple which is a really small temple and the carvings are very delicate. This was probably one of the best preserved temples and also one that you could not walk all over as it had ropes to stop tourists. The temple is is unique in Cambodia as it is made of pink sandstone and as i said before the carvings are so intricate and still preserved for all to see.

So lunch was taken in a little place near Angkor Wat which was really pleasant. Then back to the hotel for a snooze or seista which was welcoming to me anyway as I am getting a little knackered.

Anyway 4 oclock and off we go to the floating market - we took a boat and a little boy of 9 who I think was the son of the boat owner decided that he would give Mike a back, neck and shoulder massage - he could tell where the money was coming from as I never got offered a massage, ha ha.

We went past loads of house boats which were amazing and also a Catholic Floating Church which was different. On the way to the floating market we passed people in all sorts of crafts including a boy in what it looked like a big bowl - then we noticed a little girl in the same sort of craft. There were loads of women who had their children with them with snakes around their necks trying to get you to have your picture taken with them - I keep a long distance as I am not keen on snakes at the best of times.

We then got on the floating platform where the market is and what do we see in a pool crocodiles - yes that is what I said crocodiles. They sell them to make handbags, belts, purses etc. I can tell you one thing I never stayed near them for long at all.

The whole boat trip was a real eye opener and an experience. We are back at the hotel now as an early start tomorrow on a bus to Phnom Penn. It will be the first 5 hour journey on a local bus Mike has had in a long time and we should see some real local sights away from the city of Siem Reap.

Just been informed by Jenni, Mike's daughter that there has been an volcanic eruption in Japan - when we have looked into it we have found that it was in Kagoshima. We stayed in Kagoshima and there was a board explaining the dates when the volcano had previously erupted. I remember asking Mike with his Actuarial head on when would the volcano erupt next and 2 days ago - well he was out by a few days - these Actuaries can never get it right, ha ha

Advertisement



30th July 2012

Love the Blog
Hi Hope you are having a great time sounds as though you are. Hope you are both ok, I am winding down slowly (I think)
31st July 2012

Winding down
Hi yes we are ok. I hear both Rick and Jimmy have left also now. When is your last date are you still working from home?

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb