Day 57 Cambodia, Siem Reap, Angkor Wat Temples.


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
December 19th 2014
Published: December 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi Followers,



We woke up a little more refreshed after yesterday, we went out to get breakfast at a little restaurant down the road; delicious, we had omelettes and warm french stick. We then hired old looking push bikes with baskets on the front for $2. But i think if you look around you can normally get push bikes for $1 and mopeds for about $2 for a day.



We cycled over to the area that holds the Temples of Angkor. It took us about 45 minutes to cycle over to the temples, the roads weren't too busy, which is lucky because they drive on the other side of the road here. We finally made it over to the temples. We had decided to get the three day pass ($40), which you can use over a week and visit as much as you want. With the help on Lonely Planet, we are going to follow their advised viewings in this length of time. There is just so much here, they even have more temples 60km out of the city.



So the plan today is: the Grand Circuit. viewing the perimeter so we could get the scale of the place and to view some of the smaller temples so to lead up to the most impressive. We cycled around the perimeter today, which took a good 6 hours, around 35km, stopping off at the following temples: Phnom Bakheng, Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, East Mebon and Pre Rup. All of these were spectacular!!



We once again didn't anticipate the size of the circuit so we forgot lunch, and as it's all on site, there wasn't anywhere to buy it. So when we got back about 4pm after what seemed like hours of cycling back to the hostel, we got some food.



We are aching a bit but i think anyone would on the bikes we had, they had no gears, non movable seat at the lowest, and a basket.



We had a bbq at the hostel tonight, it was delicious. We stayed for a few beers and played a few games of pool, and then we went to bed.



xx V&N


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb