Day 56 Thailand, Pak Chong to Cambodia, Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 18th 2014
Published: December 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi People,



Today is our massive journey from Pak Chong to Siem Reap. We are going by buses, which is the cheapest way we are told!!





We had a good breakfast in Bobby’s apartment and jungle tours hostel and he gave us a lift from there to the bus station in Pak Chong. As usual for us the bus to or first stop of Nakhon Ratchasima was 30 mins late!! Once there we got a beer as we thought the next part of the trip was only 3 hours so didn't get lunch...it turned out to be 5 hours just to the border!!! 😞 2 very hungry people!!! This 5 hour bus was to Aranya Prathet, which was where the border crossing was. First thing, was we were the only white people there...really!! the only ones, we saw none!! We got through the Thai side of the border ok but the Cambodian side was a nightmare, here is the list of why!!!




• You could walk through with out a visa easily it had no organisation.
• The officials had signs (official ones) saying $30 for entry visa however they charged $33 on a crap piece of paper!! (the government officials ripping you off!!!)
• There are one million people trying to follow you and get you in a taxi or tuk tuk. (scamming is normal it seems)
• Vick was shaking as she was so scared of getting ripped off plus we were hungry and tired. (first impressions of Cambodia not good)



Eventually we got a taxi straight to our hotel for $30, a little more than it should be but we just wanted to get there ASAP!!!
After a 2 hour + drive we got to the hostel and managed to upgrade to a private room!!! (thank god, Vick now was happier) The hostels first impression is good seems clean, busy, lots of white people, cheap beer and good food!!!



Our room is near the main area so bit louder but as we we're shattered we didn't mine at all!! We had some nice food and few cheap draft beers ($0.75) and then headed to bed. So shattered we both were asleep in seconds!!



Hope you enjoy the blog, sorry for the 2 photos today just it was one of those days!!!



Love N&V X

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb