Enter Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East » Stung Treng
July 22nd 2011
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The bus had a minor mechanical problem after night fall. It had no head lights! After a little fiddling around, the driver, his assistant and the assistant's assistant managed to get a weak light from the driver side headlight, and stuck a flash light out the passenger side window to make a workable pair of lights. But, we crawled to Phnom Penh, because the flash light only lit up a tiny bit of the road, and the driver could hardly see where he was driving most of the time. I had been near the front of the bus, but moved to the middle of the bus and onto the passenger side, just in case of a collision with a large truck. Most vehicles don't go that fast, but since we were a large mostly blacked out target, there was a good chance of a head-on or a rear-end collision, because the tail lights weren't working that well either.

We were scheduled to arrive at 19:30, but it ended up being closer to 21:30 by the time we reached the central market in Phnom Penh. I let a tuk-tuk driver take me any place he recommended, as I wasn't looking forward to going guest house by guest house to find something that late at night.

I found an OK place ... nothing worth writing up in a guide book, but it was not infested with cockroaches nor rats ... on the standard 5 star ranking of hotels it would likely score a very high zero. But, at least it's not negative.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb