Week 3 in Tororo


Advertisement
Africa
July 14th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Middle of my third week here in Uganda. Life moves quite slow here, but that pretty much eliminates all stress( that is as long as you are not in a hurry to get anywhere on time!). This has been an eventful week due to the bombing that occuered in Kampala (capital city). If you haven't heard, two bombs went off in places where people were gathered watching the final game of the World Cup. 74+ innocent people were killed, many more injured. Maddening to try to understand why someone would do this to people who are completely innocent. Had many conversations with the people I am staying with, and they help me to understand that the magnitude of this atrocity is uncommon, but the act itself is not. When I read the local papers, everyday it talks about bodied being found, children being murdered, corruption everywhere. Ask them why they think ithappens. One said becuase of lack of money or opportunity to earn a living. People are desperate and lost. Trying to just take it all in and learn and grow, but it's hard not to become hardened and hopeless. Wanted to share one conversation with my host "dad". He has shared a lot with me about Uganda/Africa history, politics, life, death, etc. We talked about leadership, responsibilities, America. I asked him what he thought I, an Amercian, can really do to help other countries like Uganda. His response was demand democracy for everyone. That America is seen by the world as the ultimate example of democracy, and that is why many leaders (corrupt) hate us. The world really noticed when Obama was elected, and that solidified us an an example of change/democracy/freedom for the people. I can't help but be on fire for this priveledge, and recognize that it is a priveledge-not a right. So value this, protect it, be involved in it, and fight for it for others. After all, we did not choose to be born American any more than a Ugandan chosse to be born Ugandan.

Advertisement



21st July 2010

deb deb debbie deb
I cant belie deyou have already been in Tororo for 3 weeks, it was good to talk to you the other day abiout recipes. It made you seem not so far away. Mom will call 2morro and tried earlier this week to no avail. Summer is passing quickly. We are finishing up VBS this week and off for our vacation next week. Wpw how my life has changed and how greatful I am. Although I am in a foul mood thus evening reading your blog helped ... a lil! lOVE YOU dEB DEB DEBBIE DEB!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb