CWB Day 14


Advertisement
Africa
April 9th 2010
Published: April 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 14 (Friday) -

The final showdown!!!

Today was the greatest cricket tournament Rift Valley Cricket Club has ever seen!!! Children of all ages, travelling from long distances made the journey, as CWB organised a kwik/continuous cricket competition.

The competition compromised of eight teams, most of which we had coached throughout the week, in a league format with a final to close procedures. The teams had a variety of personalities, including a 25 year old graduate (Phillip "Yakubu"), and a 6'8 giant.

For those who are unfamiliar with the kwik cricket format...teams had to score as many runs in a ten minute period by running to 'scoring cones' either side of the wicket once they had hit the ball. Officiating the games of the tournament were Moley, Griff, Kimbo and Myself (Mike was in charge of the results and Mick was the designated camera man for the day due to the pandemic of back door trots). As the officiators, we were able to control the game as we were the 'bowlers' (underarm throws) for each of the fixtures. This meant we were able to subtly change the results of games, to ensure each team went home with the taste of success.

Team H had not won a game, and it was down to Kimbo to make sure they went home with at least once victory. As a result of Kimbo's express under arm throws team H finally won convincingly with a winning margin of 40 run (even though the winning margins between the teams were never more then 10 runs....great work Kimbo 😊 ).

Then it came down to the final, which was given to Moley to officiate (down to sympathy more then anything). The final, like most of the games, was a tight knit affair, with Team A deservingly winning. The presentation soon followed, with all participants going home with at least a t-shirt, pens, rubbers, and calculators, and Tuskers (courtesy of Griff...standard!!). Special awards were given to the best fielders, batter as well as effort and enthusiasm prizes.

After proceedings we all sat down for a well deserved beverage, where we all reflected on the days events. We were later joined by David, Nakuru Sport Development Officer, and he informed us that the majoirty of children who participated in the tournament, for various reasons, had no parents and were orphans. This made the weeks experience and efforts even more satisfying!!! Well done boys!!!

A special thank you has to go out to our Project Leader, Mike Donald. He has been a fantastic leader and humble gentlemen; it has been a great pleasure to work alongside him throughout the two weeks - as well as the other guys on the trip - all terrific lads, and hopefully we will all keep in touch!!

From the slowest internet connection ever...peace out!

NM


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.75s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 4; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb