CWB Kenya Day 15


Advertisement
Africa
April 10th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 15 (Sat) - END OF PROJECT REPORT -

It seems hard to accept that it was only two weeks ago that seven cricket coaches and a doctor set out from Heathrow on this project. In those two weeks so much has been achieved. We have visited a wide variety of places and met large numbers of children and adults, all keen to further their interest in the game. Wherever we have been, we have been warmly welcomed and always made to feel special. Our role has been to encourage and develop cricket coaching in the areas we have visitied and, at the same,time, promote an awareness of Aids and HIV. The ease with which this could be done surprised us all as so many of the children clung on to our every word. At the end of each day we felt that we had made a difference to those we had spent time with, particularly in Nakuru where we saw so much individual improvement over the week working with mostly the same kids. The enthusiasm witnessed at the last day tournament summed it all up - we had inspired many of them!

Throughout the project we made many new friends, and hopefully some of us will be able to return in the future to see the continuing progress in this lovely country. Despite the hardship and poverty, smiles were to be seen on all the faces and it has been humbling for all of us to see the pleasure a simple gift of some pencils and pens can bring to so many. Indeed, it has made us all think about what really matters in our own lives.

The success of the project has been down to the extraordinary talents and enthusiasm of the members of the team, who have knitted together so well. Their energy has never flagged (often revived by a few bottles of Tusker!) and their keeness to do more has been outstanding. We hope we have made an impact on Kenyan cricket and that we will leave behind a CWB legacy that will lead to better things in the future. If we have encouraged just one child to take up the game and thus turn their backs on other harmful temptations in their lives, then we have succeeded in our mission.

We offer our thanks to all those who supported the project and hope that this simple blog has provided everyone with a record of our progress - including all the trials and tribulations of poor health and misfortune along the way. CWB has achieved a great deal in its relatively short life - as a team we are proud to have played our part in promoting its aims.

Team Kenya 2010 signing off.

MD.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb