CWB Kenya Day 13


Advertisement
Africa
April 8th 2010
Published: April 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 13 (Thursday) ROSTERED DAY OFF!! -

To say today wasn't interesting would be a huge understatement... 5 of the 7 awoke, (Kimbo and Mr. Dick had a lie in...) early and enjoyed breakfast before meeting with "Steve" Davis, our beloved driver. We then headed for Lake Naukuru National Park hoping to see a bit of Africa's wildlife. On arrival, we paid our entry fee, before making our way to the gate, after a little confusion about who the resident was (that's you Davis) we made our way in...

Our first encounter was a bunch of Monkey's, "What type are they Davis?" His reply... "Monkey's". We endured roughly 5 hours in the park, which was spectacular, getting up close and personal with a White Rhino, many Giraffe's, Baboon's, Zebra's, Gazelle's, Impala's, a billion Buterflies, a million Flamingoes, flies, mosquitoes, etc etc... Unfortunately we missed out on the cats, the Lion's, Leopard's and Cheetah's...

The view from the lookout was incredible, the lake was huge and very beautiful. Our break was at the Lake Nakuru Lodge, an amazing lodge, pool, bar etc where we enjoyed a couple of cold drinks before heading back to Nakuru.

A few highlights of the trip include:

Davis. A very interesting chap, who kept us entertained the entire journey... "Are there Lion's in the park Davis?" "No".

15 minutes later...

"Look carefully now because you might see Lion's here..."

The Waterhogs (Davis).

"How long to the gate Davis?" asked a busting Andy... "With the road like this, 20-25 minutes..."

So we stopped, and deposited...

5 minutes later we reached the gate...

The afternoon was spent briefly back at RVSC for a feed before a very tired Andy remained behind for a nap whilst Kimble and Dick joined us for a trip up to the Crater. After being forced to pay for entry we endured the rugged terrain of the crater, before experiencing the breathtaking views of the Rift Valley, and the Crater itself... With an abundance of Australian Gum Trees, Mick was right at home as he, Dick and Kimble scaled a very shaky lookout, for a minute before coming down twice as fast...

The adveture had only just begun, the trek back down the side of the Crater was something special... Imagine half a road width, basically that is what it was like, most of it washed away by rain, well a coach (bus) decided they might try and drive up it... Inevitably it got stuck and we therefore did too... After a delay of about 15 minutes Davis decided to go off road and took us down a track (in our mini bus) that had I been on foot would of been reluctant to travel down... Nevertheless we made it back safely before the team dispersed to internet cafes and to bed!!

A big day, Kimble missed out on more "ar$e" than ever (LN NP), a thoroughly good day, whereby we made the most of a day off. Tonight - Tucker and Tusker's at Gilani's restaurant with the kooky Julius (our waiter) before Mr. Dick left tomorrow...

MA.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb