First Real Entry!!!


Advertisement
Africa
November 11th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jambo!!!

Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates, we arrived back from Kericho late last night where we did not have internet!

Right, picking up from where we last spoke to you! We were meant to be leaving the Kericho early on Sunday morning, however our guide who is the Cricket Development Manager here wanted to play cricket! So we had to wait for him while he played in the local twenty20 competition. We got a good flavour of the cricket here, with lots of banter, dodgy umpiring (like in england!!) and an outfield that if you slide on rips your trousers! They did have a very nice pavillion though, with a waitering service!!!

So onto Kericho...

This was an interesting journey, we passed a fair few upturned lorries, had typcial African roads, and used "African Timing" as an excuse for being late! It was really interesting to see the amount of roadside sellers, who sell fresh fruit. We also tried some corn on the cob cooked over a bbq by these seller, chewy but great!!

Kericho is the biggest tea area in Kenya, and the fields stretch as far as we could see! We were staying in the guest house at Kericho Teachers Training College. We were warmly welcomed (many times) and our team leader James had to give a (thrilling) speech at assembly for 1200 people! He also managed to break the microphone during this... The assembly took place in the parade ground, being a base built by the British with everything in straight lines and (now faded) whitewash.

We undertook 2 days of coaching, our first serious task here. We had 80 superb sudents training to become coaches, 14 of which got a level 1 and the rest a level 0. The level of enthusiasim from all was incredible, especially Reuben who had to be "a kenyan child" because of odd numbers! He fit the bill rather too well....

But I digress, the level of hospitality was exceptional, with alot of tea being taken 😊 we were treated to many a speech by the big man, Mr Isena!!! The dean of students was an enthusiastic speech make, with a huge presence over everyone! When students didn't get out the way quick enough he yelled "make way make way" and executed an exemplirary karate chop on the poor unsuspecting student.

Simon and I (ali) also managed to recognise some faces from TV, we had out photo taken with the Olympic champions in long distance running! Talk about 0% body fat! We have some skinny representatives opn our team but none compare to these!

The facilities were excellant, the first night we documented the making of Ali's bed, an epic feat of engineering involving blankets, CWB T-shirts (around 60), more blankets and finally Reube's much appreciated sleeping bag! This bed on the floor became the envy of many once they had tried the metal bed frames! Careful management of toilet paper was required (James Rufey!!) and the shower involved standing in a bucket.

We have also learnt a thing or 2 here, useful info to take home with us, 1) tipping a porter 1900 Shillings is excessive (Reuben) 2) Ungani looks like mashed potato but is pure carbs with no taste or moisture (Ali and Rufey) 3) spilling punch fruit on you is not adviseable (Ali - Shower needed) and lastly ensure you put suncream on your feet otherwise you get sunburnt bracelets around your ankles (Rob!!)

We spent today at the Lake Nakuru National Park. We unfortunately did not see any big cats. We did however see monkeys raiding a car (apparently for chewing gum!!!???), hundreds of buffalo, carcasses galore, rhino and giraffes with enough photo to make an "Arses of Africa" calender.

Right I have said enough, speak tomorrow!!

Before we go just a bit more banter! James Williams destroying a young girls bowling (reports are contradicting, but it seems to be the first time she ever bowled!!!!) was we feel deserving of criticism as we are encouraging them to play cricket and this may not be the best way to do it!!!! Also qquick mention for Alexia being asked when she is going to give up cricket to become a mum....

Tara!!!

p.s. photos tomorrow i forgot the cable!!!

Advertisement



11th November 2009

Congratulations!
Sounds like it been going amazingly well so far - glad you guys are enjoying it!
11th November 2009

hey
Gald to hear you are all having a good time, was the bed too small for you then Ali? Or are you just a bit special?? xx
11th November 2009

Photos
Looking forward to see a few "calendar shots" and sure sounds like you guys are having fun - Colin
13th November 2009

Weekend ahead!
Enjoy the sunshine and good life - storms and wind and rain and 'orrible wevver back 'ome! brine me some sunshine!!!!!! Daddio

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb