livinstone...


Advertisement
Africa
May 4th 2009
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was a very long boring drive to livingstone- took ages at one point it took us just over 4 hours to go about 60km - the roads were that bad! The first day spent the day at vic falls which are absolutely amazing- especially from all the rain got the most amount of water for 50years! managed to stand about 10m from the edge which was great the water moves sooo fast (typical lack of african health and safety barriers there!!) and we went on a bridge right infront of the falls where all the mist is and literally got DRENCHED couldnt see there was just so much water! I had to scream for rachael at one point oi thought i might be stuck there forever! Plus i then nearly slipped - again not good.We then ventured onto the bridge near the falls which people bunji off was very off putting watching them but the rest of the view was great! Then accidentally stepped over the line into zimbabwe then we noticed a military guy with a gun next to us and thought we best go back over the white line (its literrally down the midlle of the bridge!) .

The next day did an elephant ride in the morning which was amazing 😊 Me and lus elephant was called Mashumbi abnd she was a babe! The guy would tell her top backup and she would. Thew walk was liek an hour long and very surreal walking past wild giraffe who jusrt stood and chewed whilst he watched us! The walked through the overflowing zambezi river and afterwards we got to sit on mashumbis knee and feed her! Her trunk was soo weird like a vacuum cleaner she was really greedy too was soo mamazing to be able to look straight into her eye so close up! Then that afternoon i went to one of the gorges at vic falls and did to flying foxes across the gorge (bascially like a zipwire your attached by the waist and you have a run up and 'fly ' through the air to the other side) - view of the falls was great! I then did a tandem gorge swing with rob which is the same as a bunji except its round your waist and you swing instead of bounce up and down! We both screamed a lot (rob slightly more1) Was really quite scary though! The next morning i did my skydive 😊 it was AMAZING! had like a 30 min plane ride first in the tiniest plane over and around vic falls the view from the air was great especially since i was sitting next to where the door should be (theres no door btw so i sat next to the drop with just a piece of rope attached from me to the plane stopping me faalling!) was ssoooooo amazing, had to lower myself and the chubby man attached to me onto the wheel arch and arch back then we just fell! I screamed ALOT. Here are my stats:
Jumped from 8200ft from ground (11200ft from sea level)
Freefalled for about 25seconds at about 126mph!!!!!!
Freefalling was amazing was soo hard to take it all in ( and my mouth went VERY dry!)Once the parachute was out my guy did a few 'deathspins' basically spiral down to the ground was sooo fun 😊 !!!! Got a dvd of that so you can see all my faceskin flapping in the wind whilst i fall!!!!! The next morning was an early one- woke up at half 5 and went on a lion walk which was unreal! got to walk alongside hold the tails and stroke a male and female BIG lion was great was slightly scared at first when you frist walk up to them and they are 'play' fighting with each other - did not want to get caught up in that! also got to play and stroke some cubs they were absolutely addorable! The rest of livingstone was spent packing! The last night there we all went for a meal and drinks at a bar right on the edge of the zambezi! was really nice got to drink some cocktails and watch the sunset! The next day we were on the bus again and on the way to Botswana ( another one of those not very fun truck days!) We go to the border which is near the zambezi - it was flooded!! We had to get a boat across just to liven things up! We had 2 nights in malawi and then the next day me and luce had top say bye to everyone, was really sad bud they drove off in the distance in the big yellow truck and we were left with ash and wikky - waiting to go to the airport! Botswana aiport by the way is not fun- there is literally nothing in it - not even a vending machine or somewhere to get water! So when our flight was delayed by 4 hours they had to go across the road and buy us all some! The told us we could go to the restaurant across the road and have a free meal on them! Nice except for the fact they decided to tell us that at about 5.30 when our new flight time was 6 ish (so acurate!) So across the road we all went and ofcourse not all done by 6- at abouyt 20past we were all running back thorugh airport and security and immigration (we were already stamped out of the country in the first place!) and onto a half empty plane with our polystyrene packages of dinner. I slept ffor the 2hour flight (Seeing as i had a WHOLE row both sides) to myself! We then got to jo berg airport and had to wait 2 hours for our transfer- not fun. We eventually got to our hostel around midnight- our flight was meant to be at 2 in the after noon!. The few days at joberg were just relaxing, re packing and thats literally it! Had a bit of an explore but not right into the centre we were both pretty knackered and i was a bit ill 😞 . We then had a 11.45min flight to Sydney!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.716s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb