100 billion dollars!


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: victoria falls devils pool 19 secs
Let me start by saying the internet here in Zimbabwe literally takes 20 mins to load Google and so I cant upload photos here but as soon as connection gets better I will chuck them up.

Well since last week we have done a fair bit. I left you in Cape town which is where we stayed a couple more nights. Wilson and I climbed Lions head which is a stand alone mountain beside table mountain and we nearly died from dehydration but the view made it very worth while.

We then did one of these hop on/off tours round the city which was surprisingly pretty interesting as we saw parts of the city we otherwise wouldn't have gone to and they told us bout district 6 which was a pocket of resistance in the city during Apartheid.

We then rented a car and drove down to Cape point which is the most southern point on the African continent. The car was a Toyota Tazz which was a proper heap but thankfully it got us from A to B with only the Ariel getting stolen which was a good result. On that trip we stopped off at a point where there are a bunch of African penguins and so we stopped in and had a swim with them. That night Ben and Wilson then decided to shave their heads.

We then went to a bit of an Octoberfest thing by the water front where Wilson and I called it quits early enough bu t the other 2 lads rocked out til bout 2am before we all had to get up at 4am to catch a flight to Zambia.

We arrived into Livingstone during a HEAVY rainstorm which made the landing a bit hairy but within an hour it all cleared up and 30+ degrees with 80% humidity started killing us again.

We then went out Victoria falls which was pretty slick and luckily for bout 3 months of the year, the river levels are low enough that you can get in the falls and swim right up to the edge at a certain point which was awesome. Masses of water dropping couple hundred feet right beside you and you can get up and literally lean over the edge and look down.

We then hopped across the border into Zimbabwe which is where we are now. You cant walk 2 feet without getting hounded by 10 guys trying to swap stuff with you. I crossed the border with a soccer ball and I reckon guys would have swapped their left leg for it. The hassle is that because the economy is in such a state, the shops don't have any thing except a few cans of beans so you can only swap things in order to get by. They have 100 billion Zimbabwe dollar notes which are only worth a few cent. The country is in a bit of a mess and probably sooner we get out the better. Rowan also managed to feed a family of 40 mosquitoes last night from his back and shoulder.

We then met up with our group which we are going to travel with for next 3 weeks back to Capetown. There is 24 of us and all 20 - 30 yrs old and they all seem good craic.

I am literally stewing in my own juices here in the sweltering heat in a rubbish internet shop so better head on. Off to Bostwana in the morning so will update again soon.

Mark



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd December 2008

your comments arent working
2nd December 2008

Ahh, the beautify Irish Weather
mmm, no humidity, a nice zero degrees in the morning, skating across frost. I am sorry you are missing out on the weather back at home, but I am sure a steady stream of sweat down your back is almost as good. No...in reality, give me a barbie in the warm sun with a beer in my hand!
25th December 2008

Merry Christmas
Hey ho! Thanks for keeping us up to date with the progress. Hope that swealtering heat isn't stopping you from feeling festive this Christmas. Glad you're having a good time mate. Keep us updated!
25th December 2008

Hi Mark, Merry Christmas to you! We have had a really wonderful day. Jen and Ben aren't here yet. Had to share them with the in-laws. They arrive tomorrow night then we head down to Dublin the day after. Can't wait for the family bash, but will miss you loads. We love you and hope you have a great trip. Love, Mary

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb