And so it begins


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 23rd 2008
Published: November 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Im not much of a creative writer so will try keep my writing to a minimum and just go with photos but unfortunately I have left my camera in my bag most f this week so to kick things off I will have to write a bit to make up.

After catchin a few chick flicks on the 11hr flight from Heathrow we were greeted by a sun that ensured that we would all be burnt and peeling within hours. We grabbed a taxi back to the hostel where we dumped our bags and set out to explore our home for the next 11 days with our new roomie Emma from Melbourne who would pretty much make our 4 a 5 over the next week. As it was a Sunday when we arrived, almost everywhere was closed up but we went down to the waterfront where there were a few markets all selling the same touristy tack and despite there being a heap of fancy eateries, we managed to pick the worst and sat down to an order of grease with a side of fries. That night to make amends, we took advantage weak rand and splashed out a fiver a head for a bit of fine dining before calling up to a bar overlooking the beach for the night.

Monday saw a late start and we pottered round town bit more. Despite my better judgment and to the comedic delight of a few of you I pierced my ears before we hit up a comedy night on Long St, which is a cracking night spot right near our hostel.

Afraid that peoples eyes are glazing over at this point while reading I will just go quickly through next few days. We headed out to Robben Island which was class as we got taken around the prison by a former inmate and he talked to us bout what it was like during Apartheid and what sort of a man Mandela was.

We also went on a full days wine tasting tour around Stellenbosch which is a beautiful wine region outside of Capetown which was a great day although sampling bout 30 wines begins to take its toll. We then came back to the hostel for a Braai (BBQ) in the sun.

We climbed table mountain which is just an amazing backdrop to killer city. Despite being warned not to we climbed it just before dusk and got to the top just in time to watch the sunset down across cape point with a cool beer.

Despite Wilson's best efforts to spend every waking minute on the beach, we've only spent one day on the beach at the fancy camps bay where we owned by a few local lads in a beach soccer match.

We then went to this dodgy club where you get checked for guns and knives on the way in and we got to know a local Reggae band and so the next night we got invited out to catch a live gig of theirs which was awesome despite feeling like the floor was going to give way any minute.

Heading off to Zambia in a few days so will hopefully bore you all again there. You can leave comments below here so feel free to drop a line with any news from home at any stage. Enjoy the Irish weather as I go sit in the sun.

Mark



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



26th November 2008

smasheys heading over to zambia soon, so my advice to you is to get in, see the sights and get out.....
26th November 2008

I can't believe you pierced your ears!! i'm sure you look very pretty. Be sure to pick yourself up some sparklers to wear in them while in South Africa. oh and please please pleeeeeeaaaasssseee post a picture. I need a good laugh. Hi from Ryan!
26th November 2008

Cool! Never really done the blog thing but this is going to be such a great way to follow your journey! Great pics so far - keep em coming! Heidi xx
26th November 2008

Congratulations on the blogsite not on the ears!
Thank you for starting this blog - well done for getting it going as soon as you have and it's good to see photos of the lot of you chilled out. Seems like you have had a busy week so far! Keep the camera clicking. Much love to you all.
26th November 2008

WOW!!
Hey man!! We never know what your next adventure will be and here we get this amazing email that you are off to see the owrld again.. you live the dreams I have.. I am so excited for you and the blazing trail of friends you make along the way!! HUGS AND we can't wait to hear more about your adventures!! Love ya Ashley, adam and Rowan
27th November 2008

I hear your a racist now father. How'd you get into that sorta thing?
You owned the local boys on the beach? Thats not the wisest thing to be saying in South Africa.........................................
27th November 2008

Jealous!!
Mark - I'm dead jealous - here it's wet and cold!! Glad you're having a great time - we will toast you at our 'Nottingham family' Christmas meal next Friday when all the expats gather here for some food and fun.
2nd December 2008

Earrings Plural?
Hey Mark, sounds like you have started your trip hard and fast. I am really sorry I didn't get to see you again before you left. Now tell me. Did you get an earring in each ear? and did the package come with a skirt?

Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb