Better late than never?


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
December 26th 2008
Published: December 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I know you have all been waiting at the edge of your seats waiting for the latest entry for the past 3 or so weeks but unfortunately Africa hasn't exactly been IT friendly and so haven't been able to update but on the upside, you get a bumper issue this time.

Since last time, I left you when we had just met up with this overland tour group in Zimbabwe. Basically it is a group of 24 of us who all camp in tents and drive from Vic Falls to Cape Town on a big modified truck. 3 weeks later we have now finished the trip and are back in Cape Town. It was an awesome trip and met some great people and got to see some special places.

After leaving Zimbabwe, we headed to Bostwana and set up camp for a few days in Chobe national park which is a huge game park. We did some safari game driving and took a sunset cruise down the Chobe river and between them we saw plenty of giraffes, elephants, hippos and the likes.

From here we moved on to the Okavanga Delta which I think is the largest inland delta in the world. there are hundreds of little islands all with lots of big game on them. We took dug out wooden canoes called mokoros out to one of these islands to camp out again. It was a great few days partly because there is no gates or fences between you and the animals so literally there are lions and elephants just walking around by your tents. We did a few walks around the island and managed to find zebras, giraffes and elephants but we had to keep our distance a bit as they could easily just turn and run at you.

From here we drove to Namibia and into Etosha National park. We did some more safari stuff and luckily managed to tick a few more off the list off the big 5. We caught up with a few lions and even got to see a rhino which I think doesn't happen all that often. Not only that but we moved onto a reserve where they care for abandoned or endangered cheetahs. We got to head out and hang out with 3 cheetahs which have been tamed and we got to pet them and watch them eat.

We then headed to a place called Spitzkoppe which was one of the highlights so far. It is out in the middle of nowhere and is just a couple of red granite mountains in the desert but there was no one around and we watched another amazing sunset, made up some punch and had a party in the one of the caves for the night.

We then moved onto Swakopmond also in Namibia which is a town which still retains a good bit of its German roots and its also a bit of an adventure center. It is at the edge of the Namib desert and so the sand dunes at this place were unreal. We had a couple of days here and so we went sandboarding trying a few jumps and generally beating myself up and we also had a day of tearing up the dunes on quad bikes which was class. You kill the throttle up a 60 degree dunes and just before you run out of steam you point it back down and hold on.

We then began heading south again onto Fish River Canyon which is the 2nd largest canyon in the world and we then moved onto orange river for a night before we now arrived back in Cape town yesterday which is where we will be staying for the next 2 weeks.

Loads of great stories including me helping shoot a music video but wont put them all up on this. Check out a few of the pics though.

The comment section is not working but drop an email if you have any news.

Hope you all had a great Christmas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



5th January 2009

Your being chased by an elephant!!
Pretty impressive lads, keep it up!! Your Killing me here!

Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb