Your ‘avin a giraffe!


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
May 7th 2018
Published: May 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

You’re ‘avin a giraffe You’re ‘avin a giraffe You’re ‘avin a giraffe

African version of an Aberdeen supporter. Think about it...
Not something you see everyday whilst sipping your morning coffee. The guesthouse owner’s brother has a farm and this giraffe was head butting visiting cars and getting aggressive so had to be shot. He was quite pushy and a cheeky negotiator. In fact you could say he had a hard neck. Reminded me a bit about the famous Falty Towers moose head sketch. Only weirder.
Flew to Zimbabwe this morning. 29 degs up here and wall to wall sun. Our group (now reduced to 7) was hosted by a local lady and treated us to a traditional local meal of peanuts and blackeyed peas, roasted caterpillars, whitebait, chicken and local veg. We spent a fascinating couple of hours hearing about life in Mugabwe’s playground. It is hard to believe what this country has been reduced to. The country is literally bankrupt. Their currency has been devalued to extinction and the banks have no money. The ATMs are empty. The USD is being used but change given in ‘bond notes’ which are valueless. There is absolutely no government support for anything. No benefits or infrastructure spending. 90% unemployment. Out with towns, traditional villages of round mud huts continue along with strict adherence to old traditions including polygamy. No electricity or mains water outside towns. Let’s hope the new president fulfills his promises. The people appear optimistic but then they have to.
Tomorrow we visit one of the seven wonders of the natural world, Victoria Falls. I hope she manages to get up again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb