Day 22 - Livingstone I presume....


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
August 16th 2018
Published: August 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Slow morning before our helicopter flight over the Victoria Falls. Picked up by the standard 4wheel drive safari vehicle and driven about 3kms to the helipad. Signed up and then briefed on the safety, etc. We were on the second flight. Somehow I ended up in the middle back seat......

Never mind, could still see really well. Huge expanse of water and falls and we went round at least twice before exploring up the Zambezi for a while. Huge pod of Hippos, elephants and crocs. Was a really good flight, then back to the helipad before we were driven back to the hotel. We had until 1400 before our walking tour of the falls so had time for a bite to eat, shop and re-arrange the bags a bit.

Onto the bus, given a bit of history while sitting in the car park because we were air conditioned, then got our ponchos and into the falls area. As we got closer, the noise grew, then we hit the spray. Even with the camera “protected” in the shower cap, I decided that the shots were foggy, and the camera just might get a bit damp. Away in the bag went that camera. Chris still had the little one so got a few quick pics with that. Fantastic display of nature and how much water can pour over the edge of a cliff. And they say at the moment it is running at about 10% of its flow in peak times.....

Stood by Dr Livingstone‘s Statue where he stood when he first sighted these falls. He then re-named them the Victoria Falls rather then the original native name. It is now known by both names, Victoria Falls and Mosi-oa-Tunya, "The Smoke that Thunders".

Back to the bus, a few of us decide to walk back to the hotel. We end up arriving at much the same time as the bus people. More time till we meet for farewell drinks, almost the end of this segment of the tour and then a dinner for those who wanted to participate. Speeches and drinks then off to tea.

As we are leaving the zebras form last night are munching grass again. Tried to get pics but they were a bit camera shy. Off to bed and on to the next stage. Another flight another country (well back to South Africa) and onto our last leg of this tourganza.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb