Crossing into Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
November 10th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - Day 3 of tour

Left Eldoret early to cross the Kenya-Uganda border to Kampala. The border crossing had a huge line up of trucks, and it can take them a few days to clear customs!

At the border crossing, I chatted with Isaac (you can call me Jackson), a teenage boy selling pop and snacks. He loves football, and his favorite team is Arsenal. He goes to school, and would like to one day become a doctor and engineer. I sincerely hope he has an opportunity to. After asking me once whether I would like to buy something, and I said that I was not interested, he no longer asked and he was sincerely interested in chatting and just talking. He did not ask anything further from me than the initial time.

We made a brief stop in Kampala and we were swarmed by children. We took pictures, and showed them their pictures and they were overjoyed.

We camped overnight at Red Chilli's outside Kampala. They had free wifi and internet access. They also are a base which offers many tours and it seems to be a good place to start from if you are travelling in Africa by yourself and meet others. It has very much of a hostel vibe.

We met the additional 5 that were joining our tour group that night at dinner.

Impressions of Uganda:
- public education billboards such as AIDS awareness, handwashing, how to vote (listen, analyze and vote), smaller families means fewer mouths to feed, smaller families means more jobs available)
- rolling hills of lush greenery
- terraced hillsides for farmland
- the rail line is used as a sidewalk (their trains do not operate)
- lots of banana trees
- many people growing fruit and vegetables and selling on the roadside

Also, Uganda seems richer and more developed than Kenya. Although it's just divided by a border, Uganda is greener and lusher. There are a few large Chinese and Japanese factories in Uganda which I think is rather interesting, and wonder if there is a trade of Ugandan resources, and in return they would help with Uganda's infrastructure.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb