More Driving


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
November 11th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 - Day 4 of tour

Long 9 hour travel day from Kampala to Queen Elizabeth Park. We saw more of Uganda's lush green countryside, and had lunch at the side of the road across from a tea plantation.

On the drive to the campsite we had a view over the savannah, and I could see three elephants walking in a line with the larges in the front. Apparently, female elephants live in a herd and are fiercely protective of their young. The male elephants (bulls) live alone.

We stayed overnight at Simba Overnight Camp.

Also, I just wanted to expand further on the type of tour. We have one driver (Steve), one cook (Peter) and one guide (Francis). The food is fantastic! We've had beef stew, steak, spaghetti, various types of salads, tilapia, chapati, curry, fresh donuts and traditional African food (ugali, beans, green bananas)...the list goes on. I had expected to lose weight on this trip! We are expected to pitch our tent, take it down, help with food preparation, clean up, including washing dishes.

We travel by overland in a truck that seats 25 and there are 22 in our group. The truck is a bit small for this size group, and there are 4 backward facing seats. There are two tables in the front. The kitchen consists of pulling out two tables to set up the food, and there are two burners on the side of the truck. Our luggage, and tents are stored in the bottom of the truck.

Also, it rains in Africa. It pours in Africa. Sometimes it's not pleasant and it's muddy. It can also be cold here, especially at the higher elevations, and on the other hand it can be ridiculously hot.

I purchased the MEC tropical sleeping bag for this trip (rated up to 15 degrees), and it's not sufficient! Nights can go as low as 10 degrees. 😞

Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb