Tanzania - Tarangire - Elephant Heaven


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
February 2nd 2014
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -6.36903, 34.8888

2nd February
The sunset was ok.....
But the sunrise was amazing.We could see hot air balloons in the distance. Their view would have been amazing.
There was a huge variety of birds everywhere and the best thing was that there was a family of deer right outside the back of our house.
Tarangire is elephant heaven.
They are everywhere and so close.
We saw a few babies within the herds.
Some of the male elephants are huge. The car was parked and they just kept getting closer. We had to be carful because we where so close to them.
The car could be seem as a threat. We watched silently. One of the younger bulls which was the height of the car started to shake it's head and making load noises.
It kept getting closer. The driver looked around to search for an escape route.
"Everyone sit down," he said in a relaxed voice. We reversed and where out of there within a few seconds.
All good.
I loved seeing them walking in a line, one after the other, almost like a parade. We watched them playing with a small amount of water. Filling their trunks with water and then spraying themselves and each other. They really are very affectionate.
We spotted some cheeky little monkeys playing in a tree. They were grey and white with a black face. They would stop and look for a second and then they would race up and down the tree chasing each other. A mother was grooming her baby peacefully while these crazy little monkeys raced about.
We stopped off at the Mgungani Woman Group who made jewelry to support the community. This was a group of women who worked to provide for their families.
There was just sooooo much beautiful jewelry. It was difficult to choose. They had neck pieces, earrings, bracelets, rings and other souvenir beaded gifts. Looking back now I just wished I had bought more.
That night we stayed in tented accommodation.
We watched the sunset in the middle of nowhere.
The power only went on at 5pm as it was getting dark.
We sat in front of a fire and watched the Maasai dance or jump and sing.
They made these very deep grunting sounds. Very unusual but alas, very special.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb