Umi "Our Sweet Little Friend"


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
November 15th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Who is this little one standing at the door?

Have you ever had a bad day, but there was one little face that made you smile!

Have you ever known of someone who had been delt a hard life, but through it all continued to show God's love and grace in everything they did?

Have you ever just felt like Life wasn't fair?

Have you ever wanted to help someone, so bad, but there just wasn't much you could do?

Life is a daily challenge here in Tanzania.

Life is filled with harsh circumstances, and here in Africa we encounter trials and troubles daily in the lives of the people we come into contact with, befriend, and adore. Its hard to see someone you love living a hard life, suffering unjustly, and there beng very little you can do to change the way they live. We are reminded daily that you can teach God's love, grace, salvation, forgivness, and comfort... but far too often you can't change the surroundings in which they live. We live in a third world country, where life is hard, poverty is everywhere, and sickness runs far too quickly into death.
First one in the Doors!First one in the Doors!First one in the Doors!

Umi & Julie at Arusha Church of Christ
Its a life changing experience living here within Tanzania's economy and the harsh lives of it's people.

There are people who we cry over, people we laugh with, and more often than anything people from whom we learn great lessons in life from. Our dear sweet little friend Umi is one of these, who I learn from daily!


There isn't a Sunday or Wednesday that goes by, that we aren't all blessed by the smile of this little girl in Arusha named, Umi (Umee). She is usually the first one to the building ad usually one of the last ones to leave and always carrying a smile and a hug, for everyone she sees. Umi is 7 years old and has lost both of her parents. They have both passed away already in her yound developing life and she is an only child. She lives with her grandmother somewhere back behind the church building but the ladies have told me that her grandmother is too old and sickly to leave the house.

I noticed her from the very first day we returned to Arusha, all smiles... tender hearted and friendly, but then at the close of worship as everyone was heading for home, she began to walk off alone from the church yard. I continued to watch her as time went by and finally decided to ask who her parents were, if they were faithful, I wanted to know more about this sweet little girl. Sadly, as I talked to Agnes and found out her situation I began to adore her even more.With all her trials, with all her pains, with all her troubles already in this young life, she doesn't realize it but she is already an encouragment to me and to everyone else who knows her. She has a hard row to Hoe.

Nevertheless, Umi is there, on time, if not early waiting for us all to arrive for her weekly hugs. She normally goes rigt up front and quietly sits near Miss Stephanie on the front two benches. What a great example of faithful attnedance and love for worship and studying God's word that we find in this little girl's life. All alone she walks to and from the church building each and every time the doors are open. Counting it a priveledge to just be there and smile. I can't tell
Come rain or Shine..Come rain or Shine..Come rain or Shine..

She's always there when the doors are open!
you how much she continually lifts my spirits and always brings a smile to my face and a tear to my heart.

After haven given up so much already, she continues to impress me! I found her sitting quietly against the wall this last Sunday morning in our children's Bible class, seeing a girl walk in, looking down at her color sheet, looking over to see there there were none left, and then giving up her color sheet to the other little girl who came in late and didn't have one, because they were all already taken.. Sacrificial love and devotion. Without being asked, told to or encouraged she gave it up to just be a friend. I wish there were more of Umi in this world!

Please keep this little one in your prayers that she may continue to grow strong in the Lord, remain faithful here athe church in Arusha and forever continue blessing people with her smile and her precious little life!

Thank you! Love Julie


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



15th November 2006

Umi
Thank you so much for sharing Umi. She sounds like a precious child. She is an example of how I found many people at the Arusha curch of Christ. I continue to pray for you all and the Lord's work in that area. Still love and wish you. Karen

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb