The Container has Arrived and so has "Pokey"


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
November 13th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

"Pokey" the kids pet Hedgehog"Pokey" the kids pet Hedgehog"Pokey" the kids pet Hedgehog

A gift fromt he Browns on their return home from visiting the church in Monduli
It's here so very early! The house is busy with boxes! We were expecting not to receive the container until December! and the Hedgehog, well that's one I never expected!

Well November is already half way through and the time is just flying by. It hardly seems possible that we have already been here for 2 months. With thanksgiving just around the corner and the holidays fast approaching I know everyone back home must be busy about getting things prepared for family and friends and all the get togethers we tend to have this time of year!

We are planning on having a Thanksgiving meal here at the staffords house next Thursday as well. All the Missionary families and guests that are here along with some of our co-laboring Tanzanian & Kenyan families.

The container arrived last week and the house has been abuzz ever since.. With the piles of boxes to unpack and the kids finding all their old things and loving them as if they were all new again! Ironically enough, we were so glad to get our things that make it feel like home, but with getting all this "stuff" in the house, it makes you wish you didnt have so much, "stuff" to begin with. So we've been giving things away left and right, trying to get one more box gone from the hall way! Don't get me wrong we are so very thankful for all that was sent over and there is so much good going to be accomplished through the materials and supplies sent over... we have enough bible school material that I can now sit down and make packets for each of the churches and the teachers in the Northern tanzania area... I cant wait to have time to sit down and get that started! But when you live with so little for so long, you get used to just having enough.. and that is a good life! Then the blessings of having a conatiner sent over, help tremendously with the work as a whole and make life that much more normal for our kids and families here are hard to even explain.

The container was supposed to arrive here around 7AM .. Of course it was raining, Brent went in search of the driver and the truck, only to find around noon that he had parked it somewhere other than where he was supposed to have, thanks to the Tanzanian roads. It was a downpour for awhile, and I knew it was going to be a long day! But that wasnt going to dampen our spirits at all! Come rain or shine, that thing had to be unloaded anyhow!! We had several helpers from the Arusha congregation come to lend a hand... Little did they know that we were going to have to make many small trips from the main road, one load at a time in a smaller truck down the muddy dirt raod we live on, because the container couldn't quite make it to the house.

With all the commotion, and tracking mud in with each box, we laughed, smiled and had a great time joking and teasing..Of course all the boxes are extremely heavy (just ask the sweet folks back at Northport and Eddy & Kyle Gilpin who all helped us load it there!) Stephanie and I ran the unloading sorting at the house end while Brent, Cy & Anthony headed up the Container end.... Kelly of course took the in between crew who got to venture down the muddy roads holdig things down on the tops of the truck to keep from loosing anything in the process... What an adventure!

And after it had all safely made it to the house, the sun came out, shined bright and gloriously... and we all laughed!

The next day as Shasta and Anthony were coming over to pick up some of their "Sew-be-it" boxes of material, they brought the kids a new pet that Anthony had captured while they were out visiting the church at Monduli... It was a little African Pigmy Hedgehog... the kis loved it.. and quickly named the little guy, "Pokey" because, "he is slow and he pokes you when you scare him", they said! But the arrival of the container and Pokey have been just a couple of the highlights of the begining of a great month in Tanzania!

We have had some great visitors come through, in roger Shepherd and Jeff Wilder. And they have just left to return home. Now we hve with us, Gary Fallis, Fred Cabler, Buddy Fry, & Ralph Williams.... all here to help with the work in this area. Teaching at the school, and doing local evangelism around Usa river and Moshi. We should have a couple of them still with us over Thanksgiving for the month. Another couple is arriving in a day or two, so we have quite the crew here.

Its Already been a great month... and I have so many more stories I could write about... But I also have a house full of boxes needing to be unpacked! I know you understand! I'll be back soon to write more and add new pictures! We love and miss you all!

From our house to yours!
Love Brent & Julie




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Visitors: Roger Shepherd & Jeff WilderVisitors: Roger Shepherd & Jeff Wilder
Visitors: Roger Shepherd & Jeff Wilder

With Brent, Kelly, & Garrett at the Kisongo Church of Christ
the Kids painted facesthe Kids painted faces
the Kids painted faces

we went to a craft show in Arusha and they had a kiddy corner with a playground and face painting...
Saturday SoccerSaturday Soccer
Saturday Soccer

We found a place for the kids to go play Soccer with other International kids on Saturdays...


20th November 2006

So busy!!
Thanks so much for sharing your life in Arusha with us. It sounds like a busy bee hive with all that's going on. I feel so close to the work there via your reports, pictures, etc. and I do appreciate you taking the time to share your life with us. Please remember that we love and appreciate you guys so much for all the sacrifices you and yours are making. May God continue to bless you with a life of plenty in whatever you need and all your efforts to spread His word. Love and blessings, Mildred Whitlock

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 132; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb