Leaving to Shamba (the school)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!

So i must admit i miss everyone so much! The past few days were REALLY fun!

At first we have 3 new people with us which i believe i wrote about. Well one of them used to be here for school for a semester so she took us to one of the close city and we got to hang out in a more Americanized area. The mall had American food and actually American and European market that had all the general food we have back home. We didnt buy anything because we figured it will be eaten by the animals ha ha. We then went to eat and we got hamburger, fries, pizza, and pasta! it was really good i guess i am getting a bit sick of ugali and beans or rice and beans.

Emily and i are getting really comfortable now where we are staying. we started walking alone to buy water and fruits in the markets. People now stop us and start talking with us randomly which is kinda nice because you feel more accepted rather then just being stared at. The kids ... well they are just adorable! you see so much happiness in them which makes you appreicate them so much more because in America the kids would be complaining so much about the food, the dirtiness, the mosquito and the sleeping arrangements.

I have been getting closer to a few of the kids and hearing about their stories just breaks my heart. one of them has HIV but he doesnt really know he has it they just tell him a different reason in order for him to take his meds every morning and night. Both his parents died (and we know the cause but he doesnt) and he is just left with one older brother which is going to Shamba which is the school we are going to teach at! So his older brother comes back to the city in order to take him to the hospital and go with him to doctor meetings.

Today we are going to the school which means i will not have internet this week which is not a bit deal to be honest i kind of got used to not using the phone and the computer which is a nice feeling. on that subject though i used to have lots of headaches and i think its because the cell phone! so you guys need to talk less on it okay guys!!!! so anyways yeah i am okay with no computer and cell phones to be honest ... its a weird freeing feeling.

Other random things that happened to me is... i shared a shower with a cockroach and a beetle, oh yeah and emily as well ... well we didnt share the shower but she was in the restroom and there is this uncovered roof on top so we could hear each other and i had to sing in order to not have it awkward and hear her ploops lol. We also arranged for a traveler guitar so we were playing guitar and singing and the little kids were dancing around which was so cute! and emily is teaching me a new song which is exciting!

We also got to go to a really cool market where we went in the small alleys and in the back you got to see all the workers carve all this type of artwork. I was thinking of maybe getting some done for my family but ah i dont know we shall see if i can figure out how to get back there just emily and i!

And for last thing ... we are planning our trip to zanzibar and i am so excited! we are going for about 5 days and 2 of them are in a film fastival and then one or two nights in a town that has moon parties and you go swimming at any time of the day as you please! We also decided that if its not too expensive we will try to get certified in scuba diving! So my plan is to snorkel, scuba and go spice touring as much as possible! yay.

Okay so today i am off to the school as i said and we planed an STD class for them and we got condoms and cucumber in order to demonstrate how to put it on ... though i think i will be laughing as i do it so maybe emily should be demonstrating and all ha ha! We are also going to plant watermelons and build the boys dormitory with a group that is coming from the UK and Japan! I might be back from the school on the weekends so i will try to write as often as i can!

Miss you guys so much ... much love!

Advertisement



25th June 2009

wow
Liirrrooon! I miss you! Anyway I am glad that you are having fun now..and that the culture shock is settling in and you are adapting better....I am glad you are eating...I don't want you coming back anorexic! I cannot believe what great things you are doing and I am so proud of you! Keep doing good work! Good luck with all the kids, and continue having fun! Also, men in Africa believe that if you rape a girl it will get rid of Aids. I can find research for you on that if you were able and wanted to teach the kids that! Anyway continue writing, and be safe! BTW: When you get home you must watch Hangover..a movie you would enjoy!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb