Holy shit it's hot!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
June 19th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HEY!!!

So first ... shabbat shalom. Ah its Friday and that day i miss home the most because its a day to spend the dinner with my family! So now i am missing my family so much because i have no one to bless over the wine and so on. Ah also wine is an issue because Africa does not have grapes so i will have to go to a western store in order to get some.

The past few days have been half exciting half boring. being in the city is tough because there is not much we could do. we just tend to play with the kids and if they need help doing homework we help them. They have shown me how to cook the rice and ugali which i am not a big fan of ... but i have started getting used to eating rice and beans every day ha ha. We try to help them around the house but the kids do most of the work. I also walk with the kids and talk English to them and they try to teach me swailli but its just such a hard language and the kids tend to speak it really fast . Also we met bunch of new people that came to the orphanage ... all 3 of them are from North Carolina and we might even get to travel with them to Zanzibar.

Anyways on Monday we are heading to the school and over there we have a lot of projects to go through. from teaching to planting water-melons to building a dormitory and painting the walls. So me and Emily are extremely looking forward to that because it seems like its a bigger purpose! What else ... there is a family here that came to volunteer and i think its such a great thing! i wish one day i can take my family to Africa to see how people live. I think such trip helps the kids appreciate what they have so much more and get to help people that are less fortunate then them!

We have been going to the markets also and buying fruits and vegis and just feeling more comfortable walking around. It is such a weird feeling though ... one of the time Emily the 3 North Carolina kids and I we were walking and the young children that have never seen a "white" person started crying and the grown ups started laughing at the situation. Other then that we are getting used to the stares ... Its just the boys here will stare at you none stop and make comments that i do not understand and so on.

I freaking love Emily being here! its great sharing this experience with someone and she is the perfect fit for such situation and we are having a great time! We made new friends called Gus and Stacy which at time could be a pain in the ass ... but they don't mean to its just their nature! Emily is also having performance anxiety in the bathroom department because there are so many people around but she will have to get over it if she wants to survive! Ohhh So something really funny happened to us today ... so we were walking to the market with two older kids and as we are walking one of them asked Emily if she is sick of malaria. She freaked out and said "Oh no do i look like it?" Then the boys said something in swailli. So i asked the kid why he thinks she has Malaria because i knew she has only been here for 3 days and it takes 7-10 days for malaria symptoms to show up and his answer was so funny he said" It's because she is not noisy" So my reply to him was its not malaria its called introvert! I found it funny!

Anyways i should head out but i miss you all! will try to upload pictures when i get to an internet cafe in the city hopefully sooner rather then later!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb