Ready to drive?


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
November 15th 2008
Published: May 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The old guy, Hamisi (which means Thursday in Swahili - people are often called after the day the are born or some event that took place at the time) who helped us with getting it to the house, said, he’s fixing it. He explained the starter must have got rusty while the car was at sea. So he said, once it’s cleaned and the battery recharged, it should all be fine. So he came back the day after, last Saturday, only a mere 3 hours later than promised (and just in time when I had try to get a different mechanic through a colleague). The tricky part was now, that the starter was somewhere hidden behind a few other engine parts, which he started to remove one after the other. I started to get a bit nervous now, wondering, if he can put it all back together again afterwards. But I somehow felt quite okay with what he was doing, as he explained what he was trying to do and it seemed to make sense, so I got my first lesson in car mechanics! By the end of the day, some 8 hours after we started, we finally had the starter out and he clean and tested it and hurray it was working again. He tested it by just connecting it straight to the recharged battery. But as it was getting dark, it was too late to put it all back together again, so he said, he’ll be back tomorrow…

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb