Am I going to get the car now finally?


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
November 14th 2008
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday morning I heard, they towed the car out from the port - they found the keys, but didn't manage to jump-start it. Now it was parked on the street near my clearing agents office... My boss wasn't very happy about me missing any more time of the training to pick it up, but offered to get our drivers to collect it from there and get it to the secure office car park, so I agreed to that. After some more phone calls it turned out, they couldn't find the key-fob for the immobiliser! This was a new worry, especially as I didn’t have a spare one. I only got one, when I bought the car...
But at least the car was at the office now, but I was restless thinking about, what to do, if the immobiliser key was now lost! On Friday I got the news, that the found the key fob! I was so relieved and couldn’t wait for the course to finish, so that I can get into town and get the car.
I still could not quite believe it, that it all might be working out now and I would actually be able to drive the car this evening! I got to the office just before 5pm, so just in time for our drivers still to be there. I hoped, they just didn’t know how to work the immobiliser and so we should be able to jump start it. But when I turned the key in the ignition, nothing happened, not a single sound from the engine! So there was a problem with the starter as well, great! So we tried it with switching the battery over with the one from the brand new office Land Cruiser, that was just delivered today, and push the car to start it this way and hurray, the engine finally came to live! So we changed the battery back over again and left it running for a bit to give it some charge.
With one of the Femina drivers escorting me with the Land Cruiser, I started heading home - at the height of Friday evening rush hour…
Not being used to the car that well, I killed the engine off in the traffic jam! With the starter not working I couldn’t get it on again! So we tried to get it started by towing it with the Land Cruiser, but the tow cable kept on ripping and we didn't manage to start the engine again... now the battery was dead again as well! So no hazard lights, mad rush hour traffic and it was getting dark, too! Brilliant! At one time the tow cable came off in the middle of a busy crossroad just before Salander Bridge. Two cars in the opposite direction even crashed into each other, as the driver of one of them was too busy looking at what we were doing! I was getting more and more stressed out.
Then some old man appeared from somewhere and started helping us with fixing the tow cable (again and again). He seemed more experienced with driving a towed car, so I let him get on the steering wheel instead. But once we were past the traffic jam turning off onto the peninsula on Kenyatta Drive, our office driver was really speeding up! - with my car on a rather short tow cable behind it and the breaks not having the power assistance… I in my mind I saw my car already crashing into the back of the new Land Cruiser, wondering if my insurance would cover that. But fortunately we didn’t have to break hard. At the next crossroad I jumped out and asked our office driver to please slow down. So we managed the rest of the way without further trouble. I was so relieved, when we finally pushed the car into our yard. This 1.5-hour journey was a real nightmare!
Now with the car in the yard, I finally could inspect in detail, if all my things were still in there. On first look it looked really promising, as the bike, surfboard, sails and the boxes (so opened) were still there. After all the guys at the port in the UK said, that the car would be empty when I get it back… On closer inspection it turned out the only things missing were the content of my big backpack (but I was surprised they didn't take the backpack itself). Clothes, towels, surge protector, binoculars, diving goggles (was a bit silly to put these things in the car...), a tin opener, pair of sandals (but they left me some really worn out ones instead, which I put straight in the bin and which our security guard rescued just as quickly from the bin again). A couple of juice glasses were broken, the tin of Coleman’s mustard had lost it’s top and mustard powder was spread all over the foot well, so all in all a really pretty good result!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb