No whales here either, but dassies galore…


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Mossel Bay
July 4th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Happy 4th of July! We woke this morning to the most beautiful sunrise over the bay. Gail joined us for a scrumtious "full" breakfast (juice, fruit salad, eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms, toast and tea) on the terrace outside our rooms. We watched constantly for whale spouts or tails, but saw none. Oh, well. After cleaning up, we said goodbye, and headed off to find a computer place that could convert my Microsoft 2007 files (which no-one can open) to an older version. "Dot Com" was recommended to us, but we had other things to do first! We went for a brisk walk along the Point, climbed up to a very old cave of the Khoisan people, saw a TON of dassies (herd?, flock? cliff-face??) and splashed about in some more tidal pools. These were even more rewarding than those in Hermanus--we saw starfish, sea urchins, little tiny fish, and we collected lots of shells. Next, we went up the St Blaise (still operational) lighthouse, after signing our lives away. The view was outstanding! I think I have fallen in love with Mossel Bay! After that, we visited the Diaz Museum Complex, checking out all kimnds of historical things I learned about in school--Bartholomew Diaz, and the post office tree. We left Mossel Bay quite late, and after a slow, but yummy lunch in Wilderness, we got on the road for real. Then, oh joy of joys, I developed a migraine (aura, mostly) right after Knysna. We had to stop so I could find my meds in the trunk. Took them, and felt like maybe that helped. It got darker and darker, and after several slooooow stints and construction stops, we pulled into PE. Tessa called as we hit Cape Road, so she was able to get us to Target Kloof and in to Walmer. I phoned our B&B for directions, but was cut off right after I heard the address--out of air time! Finally found the place, what an adventure. Then scrambled over to Spar to buy supper and breakfast groceries--had 20 minutes before closing. After a nice pie and salad dinner, and a bit of an issue regarding a bed for Owen, we settled in for the night--a rest well-earned, for sure!





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb