Puff Adder Snake On Ground, Leopard In Tree


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
June 19th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Moving from Satara to Lower Sabie which is a fairly long drive. The road down to Tsokhwane was very quiet as far as the "hairly scaries" went. Went to the overlook to see what the water looked like and things were fairly dry. In fact, we did not see any animals moving in the distance which is very unusual.

Did see four ostrich, and one of those nice to see antelopes, the reedbuck. Do not see them very often. We also were entertained by five ground hornbill moving through the grass and then some double banded sandgrouse which are also very rare for us.

Continued driving and came upon a very big elephant on the side of the road. Stopped to watch him and he passed behind our car very close but we were being very zen about it all!

Get to Lower Sabie and take the spot behind where we usually camp. Both our neighbors checked out and so we will see who are new neighbors will be. Fix our lunch and do some blogging until time to go for our evening drive.

This is our first time at Lower Sabie this season so decided to drive down toward Crocodile Bridge and check things out. Did see a rhino and then drove to the dam and checked both it and the bridge out. There is still a little water in the dam but is very low. Time had run out and we had to start heading back.

Were headed back and saw something in the road and decided we needed to back up and see what it was. Turned out to be a puff adder moving along the road. Robert got some good pictures and hope we do not run into one of these on our walks!

Running out of time but do not want to speed because there are impala everywhere and who knows maybe a leopard will cross out path. About 4 km from the gate and see a vehicle parked sideways on the road. Ask what they have and it is a leopard in a tree. Get some shots and then must head in. Barely made it but what an adventure.

Get back and we have about 12 children in the campsites around us. Parents are not doing a very good job of supervising them and fortunately did not hit one as we were backing in! Dinner at the Mugg and Bean and off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.2117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb