Last day magic, 3 Giraffe Show us a Leopard!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
September 3rd 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Rained off and on during the night but none of it was a drenching downpour and we were able to fold the tent in such a way we did not have a giant mess in the back of the car. Drove the road toward Phabeni and very near the Paul Kruger gate saw a purple crested turaco. Was a beautiful bird to watch.

Took a back road over to the Numbi road and checked out Transport dam one last time. Then Robert sees three giraffe standing looking intently down at the ground. Stop and cannot see anything but turn around and the car now has Robert on the correct side in case something is there. Watch them, watch them and Laura is getting impatient and then the big giraffe makes a move toward what it has been looking at and then wheels and moves away.

That was when we saw...........the leopard sit up that had been lying in the grass unseen by us. Even when it sat up, it was hard to see. At first thought it was a cheetah but was a young leopard. Put on quite a show for us. We were in neutral and were able to follow
Kruger National Park Guided Walking SafariKruger National Park Guided Walking SafariKruger National Park Guided Walking Safari

Took one last year, interesting experience.
the leopard as it moved around, marking territory, climbing on rocks and then crossed the road and disappeared. What a goodbye to Kruger!!!

Drive on toward Shoestrings wasting no time because do not want to be a rush hour traffic! Stop at a petrol stop complete with a game farm attached with hornless rhino and other animals. Keep pushing on and get to Rob's before the traffic got real serious . Got things unloaded and Rob suggested we turn the car in that night without washing it while things might be busy. By the time we had unloaded, taken a short nap the rain had started. Another note: This seems to happen each time we return to Rob's.

Because of the rain and being very tired decided to wait until in the morning and after a meal of the last of our cans, off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 96, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kruger National Park Guided Walking SafariKruger National Park Guided Walking Safari
Kruger National Park Guided Walking Safari

Took one last year, interesting experience.


30th September 2015

Wow! Great close up.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb