Splashing lion in the river


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
September 1st 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

delicious dessertdelicious dessertdelicious dessert

out of order, people we met at dinner who knew people on Mercy ship
Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Could not believe it but we were first at the gate at Skukuza! This has never happened but do not think it will ever happen at Satara. Still determined to find the cheetah and wild dog so take the H-10 to Mundozi and the Mondolovi picnic area. Lotser of nice general game but no cheetah or wild dog.

Fix breakfast at Mondolovi picnic area and visit with couple from South Africa that now live in the Netherlands but are regular visitors to Kruger. Another gentleman walked up and we asked if he had seen anything. Seemed a little grumpy. When we said we were looking for cheetah, he offered "see them if you see them." Real positive I would say!

Decided to drive Saltije road and see if the rhino was still there. It is not as rough from this direction as the last part form Skukuza to Lower Sabie. People flag us down and tell us there are lions out in the river area visible from one of the pullouts. We head into the pullout and find a couple eating their breakfast watching these lions. They are very large male lions and one is in a pile of brush and is well disguised.

As we are watching them, one of them gets up, stretches and decides to cross the river to another area. You could actually hear the splashing as he crossed. Very nice. We were not able to
see the rhino from any of the pullouts we looked in so hope there was a happy ending to this story..

Saw two more lions as we headed back to camp but they were not very easy to see and headed on back to camp. Fix lunch and did some work on stories. Tried to nap but has gotten quite warm in the afternoon--like 91 in the tent!

Did an early afternoon game drive but did not see much and headed to the deck to check out things as the sun was setting. Visited with a couple from Durban who know some people working on the Mercy ship off Madagascar where we also have a friend working. Small world.




Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

hyenas looking for food?hyenas looking for food?
hyenas looking for food?

meanwhile, we were looking for cheetah and wild dog!
not much activity at momentnot much activity at moment
not much activity at moment

we were here when there were 100's of buffalo in the water drinking


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb