Leopard Stalking Baby Zebra


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Komatipoort
June 28th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.4498, 31.9633

Heading from Pretorioskop to Skukuza. We have a hut so do not have to race to get a good campsite in the early morning. Got to see a baby rhino with its mother which is always something very nice to see. We also saw elephants in the river crossing.

School holidays are in full swing and so there are more day visitors and this slows traffic down but we manage, no problem! Driving the Phabeni road and get to the place where we have seen the leopard in the gully for the past two years and were certain the leopard was there because there was quite a jam. Took us awhile but we finally got into position and could see the leopard crouched up against the tree.

Then the excitement began. There were some zebra on the hillside across from where the leopard was hiding against the tree. It seemed as though they could sense someone was in the area but could not see the leopard. Three full grown zebra finally made it down to the water and drank their fill. Then a mother zebra with a very tiny tiny baby approaches the area. The baby was so young it was still learning the mothers stripe pattern it appeared. It was staying very close and fortunately all ended well for the zebra while we were there, but remember this is nature in the wild!

Saw a baby rhino and elephant in the river during our morning drive.

On the afternoon drive saw some elephant with massive tusks by the river and then a rhino very near the river. Then saw a couple parked and asked what they were seeing and they told us about a leopard across the river that was very hard to see perched on the fallen tree! Finally did see it and that finished our drive for the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb