Astounding Southern Africa - Kloof, Thursday 2015 February 26


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Kloof
February 26th 2015
Published: April 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Undulating countrysideUndulating countrysideUndulating countryside

Pleasing hypnosis!
Our drive this morning was minimally interesting, as the scenery mainly consisted of planted monoculture forests, or pineapple and sugar cane plantations. The visual contrast of several river valleys and hillsides made these undulations in the landscape even more beautiful – shades of green against the blue sky with puffy white clouds.

Duane kept us entertained with the history of the region – full of conflict between the Zulus, the Boers and the British. Prior to that, Vasco da Gama explored the coast and named the river Natale at present-day Durban. This is the source of the modern province’s name, KwaZulu-Natal. After the wars, Durban became the hub of the Indian populations, brought over as contract labourers by the British to work in sugar cane fields in the 1860 – 1911. They were treated as virtual slaves for a minimum of five years, except that at the end of their contracts they could stay in the country. Many set up shops and companies that still exist today.

We passed a site where heavy metals are mined just below the topsoil on the vegetated sand dunes. The sand blown in over thousands of years contains the metal. The company rehabilitates the dune’s
Vegetated Dunes being minedVegetated Dunes being minedVegetated Dunes being mined

At first, an unlikely sources of minerals
vegetation after the strip-mining.

We were a fairly silent, sleepy bus for the morning, which made us quite excited to get off at uMhlanga, a beach resort town north of Durban. The beach was down a set of stairs from the main road, filled with lots of restaurants and shops. The beige sand was fine and super hot! I had to put my sandals back on until after passing the large, picturesque sandstone rocks and reaching the wet sand. This water is not for swimming! The waves crashed and dragged continuously. We paddled at the very edge and took photos of each other.

Lunch was back up in town, on an outdoor patio. I had liver pate with a baguette and slivers of caramelized pear. The liver pate was not set firm, and it was served in a nice wine glass. After the hot beach, I guzzled water and a local ginger beer – sharp ginger flavour.

In a short while, we were driving around downtown Durban – not much to see – or at least Duane didn’t point out much (not a fan of cities). There is an old colonial area, lots of modern business buildings,
Phamzile, Phansi MuseumPhamzile, Phansi MuseumPhamzile, Phansi Museum

Captivating teller of local history
a faded downtown core, attractive residential areas built in the 1950s, and inevitable tin shacks built by newcomers to town. We caught glimpses of the harbour – the largest shipping port in South Africa. I was moved to see that some of the civic features were named for antiapartheid heroes, such as Ruth First Drive and Inkosi-Albert-Luthuli Hospital.

We visited a fabulous museum of Zulu beading art in a large old house. Regrettably, the Phansi Museum was suffering from (electricity) load shedding and was dark. Phamzile, the dynamic guide and Assistant Curator, did her best with available light. Seeing the basement, the original part of the museum, was totally impractical. An upstairs room was almost too dark; Jo dug out a good LED flashlight from her backpack, and we continued. One large room was “populated” by life-sized puppets dangling from strings, which let them move with the slightest touch. They were dressed in fully beaded traditional dress. Every piece of clothing had a role and a message about the wearer. Phamzile acted out little scenarios to help us understand the culture.

The history of the fertility dolls dispelled a myth for us all. In Zulu culture it is not a
United FamilyUnited FamilyUnited Family

Everything - no details required
doll, but a wished-for baby. A mother-in-law (a married woman’s closest relationship) might give it to her daughter-in-law, referring to it as a baby. The “baby” was dressed in wraps and held and treated as a baby. Another kind of “doll” was given to girls at puberty, again treated like a baby. When a girl gave it to a man, she had accepted him in marriage.

Finally we saw a magnificent collection of large straw baskets in a variety of sized and shapes. This collection and preservation of Zulu artifacts will be really important for the future of the culture.

Outside Durban we arrived at the Makaranga Garden Lodge – a spa resort, featuring a full botanical garden. We had an hour or so to wander. Scattered throughout the garden is the largest collection of Zimbabwe stone sculptures anywhere, an art form from the 1950s and 1960s. The forms are abstracted, usually people, using the shapes of the stone to enhance expression. Cut into the garden lawn was a full-sized replica of the Chartres Cathedral labyrinth. I walked it in bare feet, contemplating that travel helps you see how connected are the people of the world.

Dinner: shrimp in salad, Kingklip fish, fries, glass
LabyrinthLabyrinthLabyrinth

Tactile and meditative
of rose

View map of trip to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Durban beachDurban beach
Durban beach

Not for swimming
Blue Bottle JellyfishBlue Bottle Jellyfish
Blue Bottle Jellyfish

Poisonous - don't step on it!
Married Zulu womanMarried Zulu woman
Married Zulu woman

Phansi Museum
Male leaderMale leader
Male leader

Phansi Museum
"Chastity belt""Chastity belt"
"Chastity belt"

Phansi Museum
Fertility dollsFertility dolls
Fertility dolls

Phansi Museum
Mother ChildMother Child
Mother Child

Humanity in stone
ReaperReaper
Reaper

You could almost eat the corn!


26th April 2016

Cities
I'm not so much a fan of cities myself, but the museum is a good reminder that there are things worth seeing there, too. The baskets are magnificent. I'm always surprised when I see a labyrinth without hedges or walls of any sort - I guess I have it conflated with maze (although wasn't there a Greek myth about a labyrinth?).
29th April 2016

Labyrinth
Indeed, the elaborate labyrinth at Knossos is thought to have been like a maze. They are also associated with meditation, usually religious. Confusion is brought to the meditative labyrinth by the walker, whereas in the maze confusion is thrust upon the walker.
29th April 2016

Astounding Southern Africa
Great blog, so interesting I want to go there! thanks for this history blog!
29th April 2016

Visit Southern Africa
I hope you do visit southern Africa some day. One of the best places I have visited.
19th June 2018
Phamzile, Phansi Museum

phansi museum
it is very beautiful, i love all your cultural exhibition complex

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb