On the trail of Bunny Chow - 26 minutes in Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
June 11th 2006
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

DurbanDurbanDurban

...from a safe distance
After PE, South African cities were not on our priority list of places of visit! It probably didn't help arriving at 11 o'clock at night and it certainly didn't help when the map from the hostel was liberally scattered with shaded "no go" areas. We braved our first bit of South African public transport, listened very carefully to all the advice on where not to go and decided after the sum total of 26 minutes to retreat to the safety of the suburb of Berea where the backpacker hostel was located.

Berea was a typical upmarket South African suburb, where the "haves" alternate their lives between their high security homes and American style shopping malls. If you can't beat them, join them and so it was off to the shops, cinema, flea market and a fiercely contested rugby match at Durban High School. We gleefully left Durban, without even getting close to the local delicacy of Bunny Chow - a hollow loaf of bread filled with curry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Durban AgainDurban Again
Durban Again

...from a safe distance
BereaBerea
Berea

Flea Market - Miranda secures her 20 rand birthday pressie
SA RugbySA Rugby
SA Rugby

Even at a tender age, they take it seriously.


24th September 2023

Urban Areas and Bunny Chow
I also learnt after passing through PE, that urban areas require caution and general avoidance in South Africa. And public transport there was a big no-no. I'm sorry you didn't get to try a Bunny Chow in Durban though, that was an experience for me.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb