THREE LIONS, MORE LIKE THREE PUSSY CATS


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 28th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6 o’clock, for an early start, to join the convoy of England supporters, on the 5 hour drive to Bloemfontein. The number of supporters making this trip was enormous. Every car had England colours of some sort, be it car flags, big flags or scarves. Such a sight. The in- frequent service stations were awash with red and white.
In Bloemfontein the English had taken over the waterfront. The government had relaxed the selling of alcohol for the day. This was obviously too good an opportunity for the bars etc to miss. In fact the restaurants were drunk dry and couldn’t match the demand. Fortunately Roger and I managed to purchase some beer and sat by the lake to drink it in the sunshine with the other supporters. Again the atmosphere was unbelievable and the costumes amazing. The Germans game in for a bit of stick in the singing stakes, but everything was accepted with good heart.
We met a couple of English policemen, on secondment to SA for the World Cup. They said they were really enjoying it and that there had been no trouble. Off to the game. This was probably the least impressive stadium we had been to so far. Although the facilities were better than some Premiership grounds we have been to, it was not in the same league as the new built stadiums here. Just happened to bump into Darren Gough, cricketer, who insisted I had my photo taken with him.
The English supporters again did not disappoint. The whole stadium was decked out with the flag of St. George. We saw again one of the Capello boys who had lost his mates - don’t think he would have much trouble finding them ha ha,
Yet again, in the World Cup, we have been on the wrong side of a ref’s decision, or in this case a non decision. Frank clearly scored a goal, which could have changed the outcome of the game, we will never know. This does not deflect from the fact that the Team did not play to their full potential throughout the Tournament and too many overpaid players did not perform. Stevie G looked frightened and Wayne Rooney just didn’t get going. Did we bring to many injured players, where was plan B.
We left the match before the final whistle because we were so frustrated, angry and disappointed. Roger was asked by a TV interviewer what he thought of the game. Oh my, did he go into a rant - my kid’s know what he’s like when he goes into a rant. I think he left the poor interviewer shell shocked. FIFA and their officials came under particular attack. I really hope it doesn’t get aired on TV.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



29th June 2010

Did Darren Gough really 'insist' he have his photo taken with you..? Are you telling porkies?
4th July 2010

wimbledon tennis
Roger, do you remember when a 13 year old boy wiped the floor with you and Jay, well Tom his younger brother is currently playing in the boys doubles final, so perhaps you were not as bad as you looked that day, or is map reading forte now. See you soon for a catch up and a beer. Jan + Ray

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb