SHALL WE GO, NO WE'LL STAY


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 28th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A transit day today. No convoy back to Jo’burg. Just outside Bloemfontein we saw a small aeroplane parked on the side of the road and discovered, when we stopped for breakfast, that it had made an emergency landing, on the motorway, the day before, just after we had passed that area. We have set ourselves a little rule here, that when we go below the half full sign, on the petrol gauge, we fill up. On this occasion we were on the main highway, the N1, we had just over half a tank and decided to fill up at the next station. What a mistake. We got very close to empty and were starting to get worried. Roger then noticed a hand painted sign on the side of a barn type building saying Petrol. We pulled up a rubble road to find two petrol pumps, but no attendant. Roger had a quick rekey and then from nowhere up popped this attendant; the whole situation was like something out of the hillbilly’s or some American horror movie. The attendant asked how much petrol we wanted and Roger told him to fill it up. The attendant said he wasn’t sure he had that much petrol, a shock, as we must be driving around in the smallest car in Africa!!!!
Off to Kruger tomorrow. Not sure if there will be internet connection so may need to catch up later. Made the decision to head back to Cape Town earlier and stay longer. Booked a flight back from Cape Town to Jo’Burg, so that we won’t have to do the 16 hour drive back, that we will have to do to get there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb