Wilderness National Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
December 10th 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we've started our trail along the Garden Route, the south coast of Africa. We've hired a car, a VW golf with no airconditioning. After a long morning of driving our first stop was at wilderness national park. Wilderness is a cute little coastal town where the river joins the sea. After arriving early afternoon we hired a canoe and went for a paddle up the river. We spotted a few different types of kingfisher birds and other wildlife. Up stream we pulled the canoe to shore and started on an hour walk to some waterfalls. We splashed around and returned to our campsite on the riverbed. The next day we thought we'd try out 'kloofing'. We didnt really have any idea what it actually was, but soon discovered that kloof is the africaans word for canyon, and so we were going canyoning. The morning started with a half hour walk down a valley to a river. Equipped with wetsuits and life jackets we rockhopped, swam and jumped our way down the river. Whenever the river was deep enough we stopped to search out the highest jumps around. Rohan threw himself off a 9 - 10 m jump while Alice (after some persuading) jumped off a 7 - 8m jump. We had a great time and made friends with a pair of guys from Ireland who were a laugh. We returned to the base at Wilderness where a picnic lunch awaited us. After lunch we headed off again to another valley. We climbed for about 10 minutes before we reached our destination, a 75m cliff face which we were about to abseil down. We had two different abseils, the first alongside a waterfall and the second over a large overhang... scary!

Anyway we'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Love A + R



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb