Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
December 7th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we've had a great time in CT so far,
Steve and Sam have been so kind and hospitable to us, lending us their car, taking us places and feeding us.
We've seen some great sites.
On our first full day in SA we went on a double decker bus tour which took us around the coastline and throught the city and gave us a great overview of CT history.
We've done a bit of shopping at he markets at the waterfront and have bought (too many) african arts and crafts.
On our second day we went on a half day hike, we planned to hike up table mountain but cloud sitting on top forced us to do another walk which was still really nice and very scenic. That afternoon we caught the ferry accross to Robben island for a tour. We were taken around by an ex-political prisoner and shown the prison and got a glimpse of Nelson Mandelas cell.
The next day we went with Steve and Sam and the kids to a small sheltered beach surrounded by boulders and hundreds of sunbaking penguins. They were African or 'Jackass' penguins and are quite used to humans. Rohan let the Steve in him come out and tried to pat one. Of course resulting in a nice chunk of Rohan's hand missing (they bite hard). We had a nice swim and got some good photos. That afternoon we borrowed Sam's car and explored Cape Point National Park. We walked up to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope, it was blowing really hard, it was hard to stand agaist it, the scenery around there is beautiful. We played with a little tortoise and also waved to a few families of baboons!

This morning Steve toook us (and little Jack) for a drive further inland to Paarl rocks, the second biggest land pertrusion after Ayers Rock in the world. it was hot, like really hot, it was in mid to high 30's and the heat radiating off the granite was intense. so we struggled up to the top and there was great views way back to table mountain and to the ocean. we then drove to a town called and had lunch. this afternoon me and alice drove into town and caught the cable car up table mountain. we had dinner up there and watched the sunset, the views were stunning. we are ready for a good night sleep because in the morning we are driving to the airport to hire a car and start our drive along the south coast of Africa!
We really want to thank Steve and Sam for taking us in and letting us stay with them, it made our time in CT a hell of alot easier and we saw many things we might not have due to their local knowledge, and Jack and Max were great, really fun and didnt seem to mind the strangers staying in their house. so thanks alot guys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb