Away with the Faeries


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Hogsback
April 21st 2003
Published: April 21st 2003
Edit Blog Post

Away with the Faeries was in Hogsback - a tiny village set on a ridge about 3 hours inland from East London. We had heard great things about the place from previous hostel runners and guests. It was a lovely place where we got a great little room in a small cottage - there was a large main house and lots of campers too. We were sharing the cottage with a South African girl and her American boyfriend from Seattle and they turned out to be going to a meditation session nearby and invited us. We had just sat around the fire for most of the day since it was raining - a lovely day, and decided to go along. Neither of us had really done any meditating since doing Vipassana - it quite put us off really. Going and meditating for half an hour with a lovely local gentleman and chatting with him about different types of meditation was great. He had a great little retreat there and was knowledgeable on the topics of Zen, Theravida, and other types of Buddhism.
The next day we decided to go on the waterfalls hike - which we were told was about a 4 hour hike into the valley and up to 3 seperate waterfalls in the region. It was a great hike and the waterfalls were beautiful. Watching some Champions League football with the other (mostly) English guests and beating the hostel staff at foosball/table football pretty much rounded off our time here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb