Transkeii


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Chintsa
April 23rd 2003
Published: April 23rd 2003
Edit Blog Post

SchoolkidsSchoolkidsSchoolkids

They gave us a great show - sung their hearts out.
From Hogsback we travelled to Cintsa to a huge hostel called Buccaneers of which we had heard great things. It was the gateway to the Wild Coast or Transkeii part of South Africa which was from what I understood pretty much an independant state during Aparteid and run by the non white native people - like Zululand. Upon arrival we promptly went on a tour to a local school where they put on one of their weekly concerts for the backpackers who by donating after the concerts pretty much fund the school with the help of volunteers from a German school. The kids from the school ranged from 4 to 15 by the looks of it and sang their hearts out for about 2 1/2 hours. It was amazing. They were all very enthusiatic and fun. We stayed in Cinsta for a few nights and met some great people in the common room. Rather than eating out as we did in Asia we were now self catering and meeting people in the backpackers hostels. Cintsa had a nice beach, but since Kristen has been living on Hawaii for many years, and we had also been in Thailand so recently it wasn't so lovely in comparison. We didn't come to Africa so much for beaches, which is why by this time we had changed our plans to go to Mozambique on the way to Malawi, and decided to travel from South Africa to Zimbabwe and then Zambia. An English army officer (there seem to be quite few of them travelling around on leave) and his girlfriend had nothing but great things to say about Zimbabwe, as did anyone else we spoke to who had been there recently. The South African's seemed rather negative about going there, but hadn't been so we didn't really count their opinions - luckily.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb