"You Must Leave the Country"


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Somalia's flag
Africa » Somalia » Somaliland
January 3rd 2014
Saved: June 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

My messages detailing what was occuring - Hargeisa, SomalilandMy messages detailing what was occuring - Hargeisa, SomalilandMy messages detailing what was occuring - Hargeisa, Somaliland

These were sent to Muyhadiin when he didn't answer the phone.
Travelling is usually beset with issues: sometimes transport, sometimes scams, and sometimes officialdom. Almost all pass without much inconvenience or concern, for it a part of the travel experience. However, in Somaliland, I found myself in a very inconvenient situation due to a person who strove to make my time in their country a difficult one – and surprisingly he worked for the Ministry of Tourism.

The drama began when organising a travel permit through the Ministry of Tourism. My friend, Muhyadiin, had already secured a driver to take us to his home town of Gabiley to help him celebrate the birth of his first child. After arriving at the Ministry, I met a senior employee who became my nemesis – Abdisalam Shabeelle. A brief conversation in a darkened office followed.
“Where are you going?” Abdisalam asked.
“I’m visiting Gabiley with a friend tomorrow, and then the following day I wish to travel to Las Geel, Sheikh and Berbera”.
“Where are you staying?”
“At the Oriental Hotel.
“Then you must book with Dalmar Tours.”
I found it bewildering that he ordered me to use Dalmar Tours in the Oriental Hotel. I knew two other
Me practicing to be a money changer - Hargeisa, SomalilandMe practicing to be a money changer - Hargeisa, SomalilandMe practicing to be a money changer - Hargeisa, Somaliland

One needs no security in this job - a very safe place.
tourists staying at the Oriental Hotel who were granted permits by Abdisalam without being instructed to use a specific operator.
“But my friend has organised a driver for me.”
“Who is this person, he could be anyone. You must book through Dalmar Tours”
“Well, I trust him. Can I book through another tour operator.”
“No, it must be Dalmar Tours.”
“I know I must get an SPU (Special Protection Unit armed officer) but why must I get it from Dalmar Tours?” This question was important because it is not uncommon for people to organise their own SPU directly from other government bodies.
“You must get it from Dalmar Tours.”

I was bewildered, but Abdisalam was insistent. I had not heard on blogs nor forums of this scenario. Knowing further discussion was pointless, I returned to the Oriental Hotel to inform Muhyadiin that I would not travel with him to Gabiley since the cost of hiring a car and driver with Dalmar Tours by myself for half a day was prohibitive.

Muhyadiin thought this a ridiculous situation – and immediately got to work. A couple of hours later, he found me at the hotel and hurriedly blurted “Come with me” and we were driven an area on the outskirts of Hargeisa. A large man emerged from a gleaming car, it was Somaliland’s Minister of the Interior, Mr Ali Mohamed Waran Ade. He shook my hand, welcomed me to Somaliland, and after telling him how much I was enjoying his country, he grinned broadly and commanded “You are a Somalilander!” The Minister lent me a member of his personal elite bodyguard as SPU, stating that I could go “everywhere”, which meant everywhere on the planned itinerary – Gabiley, Las Geel, Sheikh and Berbera. A letter permitting me to travel could be collected later.

Having a personal bodyguard of the Minister of Interior as a SPU was very helpful as we passed through all checkpoints with a minimum of fuss. However, there was much fuss upon my return to Hargeisa.

On Monday morning, two days after returning to Hargeisa, a man approached me in the Oriental Hotel, “You are the person who came to my office to get the permit but did not come back.”
“Yes.” I replied. In hindsight, I should have said “No”.
With that he departed and returned with two men, and it was then I remembered that man as Abdisalam. We sat at a table and the following conversation ensued. This transcript is from notes I made of the conversation afterwards. My previous job was a government investigator and my role involved writing conversation notes such as this. The other two attendees said nothing during the entire meeting.

“I hear you travel to Las Geel, Berbera and Sheikh – are you a tourist?” questioned Abidsalam.
“Yes, I am on a tourist visa.” was my response.
“You travel with no permit and no guard, you did not have a guard.”
“I had a guard.”
“Where?”
I showed all present a photo of the guard. Abidsalam paused before continuing. At this point, Ahmed from Dalmar tours passed the table.
“You did not do what I said, get a guard from here. He (pointing to Ahmed) was fined $50 because you did not travel with him.”
Ahmed later told me that he never paid the fine, but I was not to know at the time.

“Why did you fine him? It was nothing to do with him, he is a nice man. I had already organised a guard, driver and permission – with my friend.”
“But you did not organise permit as I said. You must leave the country.”
“I must leave the country?” I said in utter bewilderment.
“Yes, you get your bags and you leave the country.”
I now had regained my composure.
“I will not.”
“I will call Immigration and they will take you to the airport.”
“They will not. I have my visa and my ticket to leave on Friday. I will leave on Friday.”
“No, you must go now.”
“I am only staying in Hargeisa to see friends. I will not go.”
“You think it is your country, but it is our country, you cannot do what you want to do.”
“I had permission from the Minister of Interior, I went and met him – I shook his hand. He gave me his personal bodyguard to use.”
“That makes no difference to me!” replied Abidsalam with a wave of his hands.
“Makes a difference to me, because he told me I could travel.”
“What is your name?”
“I will not tell
Dr Farhan selling his wares - Hargeisa, SomalilandDr Farhan selling his wares - Hargeisa, SomalilandDr Farhan selling his wares - Hargeisa, Somaliland

Most afternoons Dr Farhan and I would sit together and talk about life.
you. Why are you doing this? I am saying many nice things about Somaliland and how nice the people are and you threaten to take that all away because of what you are doing!”
“I don’t care.”
I couldn’t quite believe I heard this, so I stated again.
“You are hurting tourism by what you are doing!”
“I don’t care.”
I was momentarily stunned by that statement – a Ministry of Tourism employee not caring if they were damaging tourism. The conversation continued.
“Where is your letter?” demanded Abdisalam
“I do not have letter with me. I will call my friend to get letter here.”
“Give me your phone” and Abdisalam reached to grab my phone. I quickly moved the phone away. If Abdisalam took my phone, I would not have access to my Somaliand contacts. He was trying to isolate me from any support.

I called Muhyadiin, there was no answer, so I sent a message instead.
“He is not answering.”
“You must come with us to our office.”
This felt like another isolating tactic which would not happen. I strengthened my resolve.
“I will come to the office once I speak to my friend.”
“Will you come to the office?”
“Wait until I speak to my friend, he has the letter.”
“See” Abdisalam said turning to his two colleagues, “he refuses.”
I increased the intensity of my voice, this opinion was not going unchallenged.
“No, I did not refuse, I said I must wait until I speak to my friend and I need someone I trust to translate for me. I did not refuse, do you understand.”
Abdisalam was silent, he eyes didn’t meet my gaze.
“Do you understand?” I sternly repeated.
Again silence and still he did not look at me.
“You are free to go.” Quietly stated Abdisalam, whilst still looking downwards.
“What?”
“You are free to go.”

With that I walked away, leaving the three men to talk amongst themselves. I retired to my room and thought about my next action. A few minutes later, Ahmed came to me to inform me that the tourism officials had left.

I was unaware that a man at an adjacent table overheard the conversation with Abdisalam and approached another Somalilander and said.
Delicious fried potato meal - Hargeisa, SomalilandDelicious fried potato meal - Hargeisa, SomalilandDelicious fried potato meal - Hargeisa, Somaliland

Called "barador", it demonstrates the wonders of street food!
“I listen to what he is saying, he is damaging our country.” Unfortunately, there was far more damage to come.

The following day, I was preparing to leave the hotel to collect my letter when I espied someone pointing to me from the periphery of my vision. I looked up and thought it was Abdisalam but could not be sure. A moment later, a man in a uniform approached me and asked “Are you Shane Dallas?” and when I replied “Yes” he handed me a piece of paper summoning me to the Immigration office. Abdisalam had done what he had promised.

I couldn’t read the Somali words. My name was spelt wrongly, but the passport number was correct. Ahmed assured me all would be fine, and I trusted him. So I was ushered onto the street under the inquisitive eyes of people I had met – this incident was certainly being noticed. I was placed into the centre back seat of a vehicle with immigration officials on either side and driven to their compound.

The youngest of the soldiers spoke decent English and made conversation. He stated “All would be fine” but when the conversation waivered, he pointed to an imposing building on the right of the vehicle.
“See, that is the building where we put the bad people.”
“The prison?” I replied.
“Yes, the prison.”
Even though this young official was being friendly, pointing out the prison at a time like this was not the best.

After arriving at the high-walled immigration compound, I was led up a few flights of stairs to a room where a female secretary was working studiously. I was informed to wait for the director who was not in the building. After approximately ten minutes I was escorted to an office with a rectangular table and black chairs – the director was inside. I placed myself in a comfortable soft chair and two immigration officials sat across from me with another at the head of the table on my immediate right.

The atmosphere felt tense, that was mostly coming from me. With the director reading my notice and asking the other officers questions in Somali, he commenced with few introductory words about this being a “routine check”, before asking the first question, “How many times did you visit the Ministry of Tourism?”
“Once” was my reply. The three immigration officials immediately shot intense glances at each other. Their reaction indicated that Abdisalam had provided different information. I now knew that if I just told my story, all would be fine.

For nearly thirty minutes, I explained my reasons for coming to Somaliland. I travel, write and photograph places and that I was not being paid to visit Somaliland. I was very impressed with the country and its people and I wanted to share that information with others – including at a speech in Malaysia the following month. I spoke calmly and confidently. Often the three officials would talk to each other in Somali, sometimes for prolonged periods. I felt comfortable that all was in my favour.

I knew my position was secure when the director looked through my 64 page passport containing many visas and stamps, “You travel a lot” and he paused at my Kazakhstan visa. “What was it like?” I proceeded to tell of the incredible city of Astana and the beautiful mountains near Almaty. I was then informed that I was free to return to my hotel. The director and an officer boarded a car and quickly left the compound, but not until after I shook their hands and thanked them for their time.

I returned to the Oriental Hotel and fielded many questions. After recounting my story, the Somalilanders I had befriended were incensed, with one describing Abdisalam by stating “What an arsehole!” whilst others used stronger language. An interesting statement came from an elderly man who approached me in the market two days later. We had not met before, but I am easy to identify due to my fedora. He beckoned me closer and stated in a conspiratorial tone, “That man! That man, I saw what he did to you. He, he will go to hell!”

On the very rare occurrence that I write anything strongly negative in my blogs, I always give the other party a chance to provide an explanation. When a representative from the Gheralta Guides Association physically assaulted my guide in Ethiopia, I spoke to him afterwards. Due to the representative’s statements and sincere apologies, I provided his explanation and moderated my comments; everyone is entitled to mistakes.

However, there was no such regret nor explanation in this instance. Someone who personally knew Abdisalam rang him twice (I watched him make the calls) to ask the reasons for involving the immigration authorities. Abdisalam told this person both times, “I’m busy, I’ll call you later.” That call was never forthcoming. I telephoned Abdisalam on several occasions but there was no answer. When he finally returned my call, this conversation occurred.
“Who is this?” he asked
“I was the tourist who you sent to immigration. Why did you do that?”
“You, you think this is your country. It is not.”
Then the line either dropped or he terminated the call.

Given that Abdisalam Shabeelle has shown no remorse, I named him; it is the first time I have named someone in a negative manner during more than a decade of blogging. This blog’s main purpose is to caution other travellers to avoid the spiteful Abdisalam – his arbitrary demands and attempt to isolate me should be of concern to others. Because I refused to comply with his order to book with a specific tour provider (which the locals allege is illegal), he sought assistance from immigration officials with the aim of deporting me – how pathetic.

The actions of one man will not destroy
The photo I showed Abdisalam proving I had a guardThe photo I showed Abdisalam proving I had a guardThe photo I showed Abdisalam proving I had a guard

From left - Sa'eed Toor the driver, Muhyadiin, and the guard.
the love of many.

The hospitality bestowed on me by the Somaliland people was extraordinary. The comments I received from the Somaliland Diaspora scattered across the world who read my blogs and social media has been inspiring. I have since delivered positive tales about the people, history and attractions of Somaliland in presentations across the world. I strongly encourage anyone with even the slightest measure of adventure resting within their body to see Somaliland for themselves and personally experience one of the friendliest and safest nations on earth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Henna covered hands - Hargeisa, SomalilandHenna covered hands - Hargeisa, Somaliland
Henna covered hands - Hargeisa, Somaliland

The women do not like being photographed, so I was honoured that this Oriental Hotel staff member allowed me to photograph her hands.


Comments only available on published blogs

2nd June 2014

Great story
Really interesting story, Shane. As I've worked in travel/tourism for over 20 years, I'm always surprised when people act as if they don't care what tourists think. Tourism brings in so much money to local economies. I just returned from a place in my home country of the U.S. which seemd to have that, "we don't care" attitude. In the end, it left me with an "I don't care to return attitude." I'm glad the locals spoke up for you and this man was not representative of his country.
2nd June 2014

A bad apple amongst a great bunch
Thanks for your comment Carole. Somalilanders were so apologetic re what happened to me - it was very heartening. So many people made such as effort to make me feel welcome, yet Abdisalam, who is supposed to be promoting tourism, did his best to undo those other efforts. The good news is that he failed, for Somaliland still ranks as one of the most hospitable places I have ever travelled.
2nd June 2014
My messages detailing what was occuring - Hargeisa, Somaliland

Sticky situation.
Oh my Shane, you had me sitting on the edge of my chair with this blog.! it was something out of a Stephen Spielberg novel, my heart was racing, anyone else would have crumbled but no not you, as always you stood your ground this is why your blogs are so different , i enjoyed every word , more more more please.
2nd June 2014
My messages detailing what was occuring - Hargeisa, Somaliland

Edge of the Chair
If you were on the edge of your chair Dor, could you imagine what it was like for me! As you would know from reading my blogs I am not easily intimidated so there was no way I wasn't going to back down on this matter. I was allowed to stay in the country until my scheduled flight so it all ended well for me, but only after a few tense moments.
2nd June 2014

What a shame!!
Dear Shane, We have talked on twitter a few times and your blogs about Somaliland are so beautiful. We feel ashamed for this kind of behaviour from a Tourism Ministry member. Just for the record: The Ministry of Tourism can't obligate you to book a tour with any travel agency. Future travelers should know this. Thanks again for the lovely stories from your trip. You have promoted Somaliland as a tourist destination on a wonderful and amazing way. Take care and come back to explore the rest of the country. Somaliland Travel Agency
2nd June 2014

Thanks for the clarification
Thanks for the comment and reading my blog and a sincere thank you for confirming what I was told in Somaliland, that I cannot be forced to book a tour with a specific agency. I have my suspicions as to why Abdisalam was so keen to have me book with Dalmar Tours, but I'll let others figure their own reasons. I will continue to promote Somaliland and I do hope to return one day - the country holds many fond memories for me.
2nd June 2014
The photo I showed Abdisalam proving I had a guard

MEMORIES
Inconvenient situations...typical understatement...intentions behind actions obvious...strength and resolve required and rewarded. Then there are the memories of the great times and the greater people you met. This pic seems to capture the enduring vibe so well.
3rd June 2014
The photo I showed Abdisalam proving I had a guard

Intentions
Yes, I have my own opinion of the intentions, and though one can differ on what those may be, the belief that his conduct was inappropriate is difficult to dispute. Still, it didn't detract from the amazing time I had in Somaliland - worthy of a return visit.
3rd June 2014

Kick backs and intimidation
Shane it sounds like you handled the situation perfectly by not going with him when he demanded it. Not being isolated was very smart on your part. This blog will serve others well who want to travel to this wonderful land that you have described. Too bad we run into these kind of people around the world who give poor impressions. In his role he should be welcoming and an ambassador or kindness. I would suspect he gets a kick back from the company he was recommending. Sad. I'm glad you had witnesses. Stay safe and travel on.
3rd June 2014

Kick backs
I do wonder that myself - but I am not alleging such a thing as I have no evidence. I was curious about that supposed $50 fine (which was never paid). What was that demand for a fine really about? Was is compensating for other income not received? So many questions...
3rd June 2014

Best blogs, worst circumstances?
Great blog Shane and you handled the situation expertly... stay calm and politely stand your ground.
3rd June 2014

Staying calm
Thanks Ali! Staying calm in such situations is so beneficial. I'm sure that others watching this conversation must have been dismayed that despite me not getting angry, I was continuing to receive such poor treatment from Abdisalam. The only time I increased the intensity of my voice was when Abdisalam accused me of refusing to go to his office, and he terminated the conversation very quickly. You need to judge the time to increase the stakes in such a game.
3rd June 2014

The actions of one man will not destroy the love of many
The perception that this ‘unknown’ African country is dangerous would not stop me going to Somaliland. Even the most rudimentary research conducted from my desk would largely dispel this myth. That the people are friendly to foreign visitors; I would make that assumption purely based on the culture of their religion, the region and the seemingly sparse number of tourists visiting, rightly or wrongly. This isn’t some tale of woe involving a stroppy taxi-driver or a money-changing scam; that the “remorseless” Minister of Tourism himself is going to strong-arm me into taking a tour with his ‘recommended’ company, or else I’ll be threatened with ejection from the country with help from his contacts in the Immigration Department. Unfortunately, that type of information is going to stop the whole process in its tracks. And that is a real pity.
3rd June 2014

The world is not as dangerous as it appears from afar
I entirely agree with you Jason. It would be such a pity if this one person undoes all the great hospitality offered by others. Building the tourism industry in Somaliland is difficult enough without people like Abdisalam harming it. And may I go further to say that the whole permit process needs rethinking. Sure certain border areas may require permits, but the main region I was in was incredibly safe and there is no need for such paperwork or even to have an armed guard. Just one point of clarification, Abdisalam is an employee of the Ministry of Tourism, he is thankfully not the Minister.
3rd June 2014

Failed attempt indeed
He wanted to shake you a bit I guess :) .. you stood your ground nice job ..
3rd June 2014

Standing my ground for integrity
Anyone who knows me well are aware that I am the wrong target for this sort of conduct. Integrity is an important virtue for me, and if someone is either challenging mine or displaying theirs in a poor way, I will not back down.
3rd June 2014

Awesome post where good will triumph over evil
Well done Shane! You kept your cool and you knew u were right.. and in the end, justice prevailed! Thanks for sharing this and it's always good to know which rotten eggs to avoid! But the real people of Somaliland sound awesome.. I want to visit this place.. and soon!
3rd June 2014

Visiting Somaliland
Thanks for reading and commenting! Yes, Abdisalam is one person to definitely avoid but some other tourists who dealt with him had no problems. For some reason he sought to impose ridiculous conditions on me - perhaps he didn't like my hat. My unfortunate incident should not stop you from visiting Somaliland. Let me know if you need further information about travelling to Somaliland as it is a truly wonderful travel experience.
3rd June 2014

on be half of my self and my team of work in SOMALILAND we are very sorry what that man had done to you but he will regret for the coming future we are kindly requesting you to come back when ever you need if you come back again please let me know send me email then i will be your strongest advocate for every place you like to see even with out guard cause SOMALILAND is a peaceful nation there is no need to have even guard thank you very much for letting the world to know SOMALILAND
3rd June 2014

To guard or not to guard
Thank you so much Ahmed, I would love to visit Somaliland again. I had a wonderful time in your country. I agree that in the central area bordered by Gabiley-Hargeisa-Sheikh-Berbera one does not need an armed security guard - I don't understand why it is required. I've travelled through parts of Afghanistan that were potentially more dangerous than where I visited in Somaliland and I never needed a security guard there.
3rd June 2014

Graft makes a bad impression
Thanks for the balanced piece Shane. Looks like this Abdisalam character had worked out a kick-back deal with Dalmar Tours. Situations like this can happen in many places - when they do follow the money for the real culprit. Abdisalm was shaking you down - but the payoff looks like from Dalmar Tours. They need to be censored even more than Abdisalam. Are they on social media? Perhaps they need to read your story. A traveler with less experience or moxie would have had a very different and ugly impression of Somaliland - yet it seems that one of its tour operators is corrupt and dangerous - not the country.
4th June 2014

Who is to blame?
Thanks Roberta for reading and commenting. An interesting viewpoint that you put - I too have wondered who initiated this possible kick-back, and I have no definite proof either way. However, I still don't understand why he "fined" Dalmar $50 for me not going with them - that points Abdisalam as the instigator, but it is still not definite. To confuse matters further, there is the question as to why the immigration notice had my name name spelt incorrectly This name could not have come from Abdislam (he didn't know my name) or from official channels (who would have my correct name). The only source could have been my hotel where Dalmar Tours is located, for my name was written phonetically as if it was spoken to someone over the phone.
4th June 2014

Welcome back when you come back
Honestly, I haven't heard of many tourists coming to Somaliland and actually having a problem free stay. Alot of people hassle tourists for the sake of squeezing out bribe money from them. It happened to me and i'm a native to the land!! Next time you come to Somaliland get into contact with people that will take care of the logistics first, not at the last minute right before they lock up the jail cell LOL!! Anyways Hope next time you see the rest of the country, its much more diverse out east, get in contact if you are. Peace/Milk - Ubaxle
4th June 2014

I hope to return
Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog! This is the only problem I had in all of Somaliland, though it was a major one. I did head out of Hargeisa to see Berbera, Sheikh and Gabiley - and it made me want to see even more. Hope the hassles I had are not experienced by others, but from what you are saying, this may be occurring, but in a different form. As I mentioned in my blog, I know others who dealt with Abdisalam who did not have a problem, but their group numbered more than one. Perhaps I was alone and he took a different approach.
4th June 2014

You must Comeback.
I want you to know that we Somalilanders do not treat our guests this way, please accept a much deserved apology and come back to Somaliland, bring your friends as well. happy travels.
4th June 2014

A return visit
Hello Dahir, thanks for leaving a comment, I know that Somalilanders usually do not treat guests this way. Along with Iraq, Somaliland is the friendliest place I've ever visited. Thank you for your apology, but I am fine - my positive opinion of Somaliland has not changed. As I wrote in my blog - the actions of one man will not destroy the love of many. I do hope to return, and maybe I will bring some other people with me next time!
4th June 2014

Thanks for sharing
Dear Shane, You are brave, a similar situation happened to me when I travelled to Manila, with a Philipinean guy who ripped me off, just because I didn´t want to stay in the hotel he suggested; here, what I don´t understand is how these people continue doing the same with such guts. I don´t think that Abdisalam was caught or anything, which makes me think that immigration already knew about his wrong doing but did not take any action against him. Sad, indeed.
5th June 2014

Avoiding problems
Thanks Frank, this sort of thing happens at times and I probably would not have written about it until the immigration authorities became involved. At that point I thought it best to write a detailed blog as a warning to others.
4th June 2014

why you have somalia blue flag on your tittle you know if this was somalia you would be kidnapped
just curious why you have somalia blue flag there you have said many great things about somaliland but that blue flag will disappoint many,by now you should know if this was really SOMALIA you would have been kidnapped,you wouldn't dare go there on first place.peacefull somalilanders don't want to be associated with that flag
5th June 2014

Somali flag
Thanks for your comment, Ali. I do understand the problems you and many other Somalilanders have with the Somali flag appearing on this page but I have no control on its appearance and I cannot remove it. If it has offended you, please accept my apologies.
4th June 2014

Did You See The Beaches
Shane I have been to Somaliland, beautiful place. The people are wonderful, but you get the odd one who thinks you might be a spy. For me talking about my past in the army made people believe I was a foriegn agent. Did you visit Daallo Mountains or any of the beaches?
5th June 2014

Am I a spy?
Thanks for your comment, I've written three blogs on Somaliland, and in the first I commented how some people thought I worked for the CIA! Some people were very suspicious of my camera and it did cause a couple of interesting moments. I did visit a beach near Berbera, but did not swim. coming from Australia, I have seen a lot of beaches. I do hope to visit Daallo next time, it looks incredible. The hospitality of the people is extraordinary, and it is the best I've encountered anywhere outside of the Middle East, which overall is the world's best region for hospitality.
5th June 2014

Hello Shane - I commend you for the sense of adventure that took you to Somaliland - truly sadden that you had to through this - and admire you standing your ground - for some one who has been to Somaliland and is planning to establish a business - it is deeply disappointing to see such small minded official who for the sake of making a few dollars risk and shames so much that so many people work for every day - finally thank you for telling your story - maybe just maybe it will contribute to making a change.
5th June 2014

Risking a lot for a few dollars
Thanks for your comment Mohamed, and I entirely agree with you, so much public benefit is lost for a little private gain. I despise this sort of self-centred conduct, which is why it was easy to stand my ground. I've encountered this before during my travels, but never met such a spiteful or vindictive individual such as this. I do hope this story does bring about some change, as there are a lot of people who are ashamed about the way I was treated, and their is action coming from some of them in order to make this change.
6th June 2014

I wonder if that dude, Abdisalam, is still working there. People who work should be versed in the cultures of other races, hospitality and polite communication. I can't imagine encountering that guy as a tourist!.
7th June 2014

Still employed?
Thanks for your comment. I've had a few Somalilanders ask me for Abdisalam's phone number, which I have provided. Many of them are rightfully upset at the damage he is doing to their tourist industry. One of those who called him told me that he is still working there. To me there is a lot of common sense lacking, you don't try to force a tourist to take a single provider (which is allegedly unlawful) and then you definitely don't sent immigrations official after that tourist because they don't agree to those demands. Hopefully, my experience and the reaction to it will prevent this happening to other tourists in the future.
10th June 2014

May thanks for sharing
As a Somali lander i assure you that we do not treat our guests and visitors this way at all , please accept a much deserved apology on behave of my ppl .. and i hope you will visit back my beloved country Somali land soon to see many of incredible beautiful places like Daallo mountains and Borma City and many others places in my beloved country..
13th June 2014

Somaliland Hospitality
Hello Fatima, thank you for your apology, but I know what happened to me was uncharacteristic of the way Somalilanders treat visitors. I do hope to return one day to explore the places you have suggested. Thanks for reading, it is appreciated!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 16; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb