TRAINING TEACHERS IN SENEGAL


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Kaolack Region » Kaolack
February 1st 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

January 28 - 30, 2010 I had the privilege of participating in a teacher-training workshop. Hectic preparation began with less than a week to do. With some of those who were to present previously committed, it came mostly to one other person and myself to outline the work. The details were filled by all five over 3 days. Our hardest-working member stayed up into wee hours of the morning in his work.

My teaching experience now spans nearly 40 years. (I was amazed when I calculated and came to that number). I have taught in the United States, Haïti, El Salvador, and China. Nowhere is there a more capable and dedicated group of teachers than those here in Kaolack who are charged with teacher-training. They are Master Teachers, second to none. Their professional knowledge, concern for their work, and enthusiasm made it a joy to work with them.

The preparation for this workshop was intense; having accepted the responsibility they worked tirelessly. Long hours and different personalities caused brief moments of friction, but those quickly dissolved into laughter and the larger concern for the task at hand. (I was the only woman and only one who did not
Teacher - traineesTeacher - traineesTeacher - trainees

Abdoul Aziz FAYE, English teacher, facilitator, standing
speak Wolof so they reverted to that for some heated words). These patriotic men love their country and its people deeply. They sincerely want to do all within their power to help advance education for posterity.

The target group of participants were newly hired teachers, some of whom began weeks after the school year was officially in effect. With over 200 in the region for whom that was applicable, the 50 chosen were those who had never had formal teacher training, who were in remote areas with difficulty coming to the offices where materials and expertise were available, and those who were in newly opened locations, where even other experienced teachers to help or guide them were hard to find. They also had only a few days' notice of the gathering and therefore little time to make travel arrangements.

The facility used was at a high school. The large, open room reminded me of a church, with a high ceiling and peaked roof. It was airy, with open brickwork. Work was often in groups, so there was space for spreading out and presentations were done on flip chart sheets.

Respect was evident from all parties. The facilitators
Teacher - traineesTeacher - traineesTeacher - trainees

Group work was the dominant format of the workshop
/ presenters respected each other and those who came to be trained. All came to like each other. The learners (most pretty young) were at times nearly in awe of the experience and expertise of the trainers. Senegalese society values education and educators!

Three accounts show how appreciated this training was (and I am sure there are more comparable situations of which I not aware).

§ One young woman, a member of a conservative Muslim sect (with very different attitudes from those of Westerners) came with no place to stay for three days. She spent the nights with the family of one trainer, who had been a stranger to her. African hospitality and dedication to teaching were at the core for both.
§ In spite of an injured foot, wrapped in bandages where fluid oozed out, another person came to an unfamiliar location, with public transportation and a fair amount of walking to arrive to the appointed place, punctually.
§ The mother of a four-month old son had her mother come with her. The grandmother remained in the area and brought the baby to nurse at lunchtime.

The heart-felt thanks at the end of the sessions were
PresenterPresenterPresenter

Mamadou FAYE, History - Geography teacher, facilitator
moving. After group remarks (in very proper, effusive Senegalese style), almost each person sought out the presenters one by one to express appreciation and confidence that they know they can now be better teachers.

This seminar energized and revitalized me as an educator. I saw again the importance and excitement in teaching. The practices that were introduced were familiar to me, but in the routine of teaching it is easy to keep doing the same thing and not make lessons fresh and innovative. I resolved that upon going back to standard classroom I will breathe new life into my work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

FacilitatorFacilitator
Facilitator

Bassirou AIDARA, Math teacher interacting with trainees
WorkshopWorkshop
Workshop

Teachers (majority male) worked in groups of 5
WorkshopWorkshop
Workshop

Mamadou Mountagha DIOP, national English coordinator assisting teachers in training
Nursing mother / traineeNursing mother / trainee
Nursing mother / trainee

When I wanted to take a picture this mother said to go ahead, without waiting for her son to finish nursing
IFESH volunteerIFESH volunteer
IFESH volunteer

Yanick DOUYON interacting with teacher - trainees


1st February 2010

Thanks for the update Yanick.
2nd February 2010

You Go Girl!!
WOW!!! That's My Mom!! Awesome, this experience and your reflections of this experience gave me a surge...makes me want to do better and "want to breathe life" into my stuff...KUDOS!! KUDOS!! Love you, proud of you, proud to be your daughter!!
7th February 2010

Look what happens....
...when you leave town for a couple of months! I am so energized by your post. What a wonderful thing to do! My ancestors in Louisiana came from Haiti and the Senegambia (based upon the research by Gwendolyn Midlow Hall). Senegal has a special place in my heart as does Afrika, the continent. My father had excellent friends from Senegal, friends he befriended when they attended university in Louisiana. May you continue to do awesome work and may the light of God surround you, your comings/goings and guide you on your journey.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb