DEALING WITH WHAT'S AT HAND


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Kaolack Region » Kaolack
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Standard classroomStandard classroomStandard classroom

Ngane Alassane School
EARTHQUAKE & TOUGH SITUATIONS
Reporters flocked to Haïti to report on the earthquake and I wanted to feel grateful for their work in making millions (billions?) around the world aware of the devastation so that help could come. After a while the scramble for stories had a freak show atmosphere. I saw journalists alternatively as angels and vultures. They were messengers, kepping alive accounts of survivors so stories prodded governmental and charitable organizations to find ways to get help to those who are waiting. Then they were scavenging for sensationalist, grisly pictures of the suffering.

As the news of Haiti continued, I began visiting more schools. One school (Ngane Alassane, a middle school but there are students up to 20 years old, pictures enclosed) showed me that conditions do not determine what happens, people do. These students are learning—enthusiastically. The group in the enclosed classroom (about 65 of them there) pushed their teacher to allow them to do a project in the effort to eradicate, or at least alleviate, malaria. She asked me to help. They want to produce a booklet and are doing planning, research, interviews, and layouts for the production.

Situations around heartened me, showing again God
Thatched roof, wall classroomThatched roof, wall classroomThatched roof, wall classroom

Ngane Alassane School
is everywhere. Students in surroundings that could be deplorable are thriving. Life does not stop when situations are difficult. Experts say there is little likelihood to save lives more than 72 hours after an earthquake. After 10 days it is almost a wasted effort. Yet one man was pulled out after 11 days, subsequent to an announcement the rescue searches could stop. From ashes there can be rebuilding. It will not be the same. Change is inevitable in the most stable of times. Those who did not survive will be remembered. In one sense they gave their lives so that a new, better place could put in the place of what was. Good coming from tragedy.

FROM INACTION TO FRENZY
Waiting to do teacher training work I came to do moved from stand still to full throttle. One day I was trying to find something interesting to do. There was an event in Dakar and I planned to go. With NOTHING done for over 3 months except what I had initiated, with thorough looking, that did not seem unreasonable. But…the next day I got the date for the most important work I was to do for the year. You
Thatched roof, wall classroomThatched roof, wall classroomThatched roof, wall classroom

Ngane Alassane School
guessed it: same dates, January 28, 29, 30. Less than one week to organize and very little information on what was required and allowed. It is great to jump in. More preparation would have been so much better.

The planning has been hectic but rewarding. There are to be 3 full days (8 hours each) of training for 50 teachers who have never had any previous education preparation. I have enjoyed developing the strategies and activities with fellow presenters. There should be some good sessions. Looking forward to see how it goes. A number of other school visits, the malaria project, smaller workshops are to come afterward. And I will be doing fun stuff that comes along. I hear a number of major events will be occurring in February. Will keep you posted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Peanut truckPeanut truck
Peanut truck

Dozens of truck drivers wait many weeks for peanut processing. They set up cots.
Fancy womanFancy woman
Fancy woman

Dressed and made up for baptism or naming ceremony


26th January 2010

TO GOD BE THE GLORY
Yanick, to God be the glory sending you to such a place. You, too, are angel, sent to do God's work. I am so proud of the open and willing spirit you continue to show in spite of the appearances. This is the time all the metaphysics and truth that we study is put to good use. Continue to do your best and God will do the rest. Love you. Have fun and grow. Much love Angie
27th January 2010

Yanick's Blog
you're wonderful!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 35; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb