Niger


Advertisement
Niger's flag
Africa » Niger » Niamey
September 25th 2013
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Niger is a very poor and primitive sub-Saharan African country. They have very little advanced technology, and none at all in most areas. Since they are directly under the Sahara, their climate is very hot and dry. They suffer through regular droughts, and receive little rainfall per year. Because of this, the country often goes through famines, and many children are malnourished - according to NationMaster.com, an astounding 12% of children are underweight in the country. Unfortunately compounded with this is the fact that 1 in 4 children die before they reach their fifth birthday, and that the general infant mortality rate is around 122 per 1000 people, and in a country where the average mother births 7 children (the highest in the world), this bodes poorly for the children that do get born in the country. This unsustainable population is expected to double by 2020, with the same amount of jobs or even few available to the great increase of people, primarily consisting of herding. Even this job is dying, along with many of the prized animals that would have been herded. Niger's government is little of a help, too - when given food by the international community for distribution for its people, it chose to rather withhold the food, and requiring citizens pay for it. This ultimately backfired, as many of the citizens simply died during a horrific famine in the country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb