Friday 28th October 2016


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
October 30th 2016
Published: October 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was very interesting and an adventure. We were last to leave as we hadn't fully taken in the ordeal of the day. We had 124 km to next camp but in order to see other things we had to travel on the dreaded D roads. We started off on tarmac but soon hit what sat nav calls unpaved gravel. 4x4 travel over all the ruts and bumps at speed but in a motorhome you have to go more gently. Still at least it was a bit cloudy after the few drops of rain the night before and cooler. Weshook and rattled in clouds of dust to the Petrified Forest and with a guide saw millions of years old preserved pine trees in the dessert landscape. Next wss Twyfelfontein Rock Carvings. Another 2 hours on bone shaking roads and we were there. Our guide shoed us all the rock engravings done by bushmen thousands of years ago. There were engravings of giraffe, rhino, springbok, maps of springs and footprints. It was on rocks alongside dry riverbed. The guide was leaping up and down like a gazelle and we followed as best we could, glad that it was cooler 24c than usual.

Then we faced getting to the camp site from the middle of nowhere. It took us 4 hours. 3 other vans caught up with us and we drove in covoy holding on to the steering wheel like grim death. We made it in just before sunset with a thunderstorm following us. As we arrived the heavens opened with thunder and lightening. Itdidn't last long and I was able to take a photo of sun setting reflected in the puddles. We were glad that a group meal had been arranged. A home cooked Nubian meal, simple but delicious, just near the camp site.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb