Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
September 26th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Namibia is an African country which is going through many reforms. After gaining its independence from South Africa just 23 years ago (in 1990), the country got off to a tumultuous start. One of the legacies of South African control is the fact that the white population of Namibia, while comprising only 6% of the population, control an astounding 90% of the economic land. These white owners are farmers who hire mostly black workers, most of whom are uneducated and untrained for the job on hand. For the black citizens of Namibia, there is a disproportionately small amount of land available for them, not only because whites control 90% of economic land (which basically means land that can be farmed with crops that can turn a profit) but because Namibia only has 0.99% viable arable land (NationMaster.com). This fact has caused the government of Namibia to commit to a policy of expropriation, in which they would - not necessarily with the willing cooperation of the landowners - take the land that belongs to the whites and distribute it to the Namibia's black population. While it sounds like a decent plan in theory, it seems to only have the potential to cause problems, since much of the black population would simply have no idea as to how to operate the land, and it would seemingly anger much of the white landowners, potentially leading to increased resentment against them. It will be interesting to see how this situation pans out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb