Having a blast


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody!

Well, the tour to Katatura went today at 3:00pm it was sooooo much fun. Henny(i think that is how it is spelled) and victory (two people that are staff at the chameleons) took us out. There were 6 of us... all of us are going to harnas tomorrow. It was fun getting to know everybody even before we left. There are three girls who all came together from Dublin Ireland and then there is two (guy and girl) who came from London.

WE had a blast on the tour it was way more than we expected it to be. First they drove us out through the shanty town and then we stopped at the local market. I ate a dried worm/slug thing! Then we also tried other stuff like the awesome bread that they have one kind was called a fatcake... it was like a big doughnut! They also took us all through the different places that sold different things and made dresses etc. and told us all teh info about the things they showed us(what they did with the food etc.) They showed us where they sold the meat... it was just all sitting chopped up on tables and we even saw a rotten cow head! Then we went and got some that they were grilling and ate it... it was really good!

After that we drove some more and went to the penduka womans project( i think that is how it is spelled) and showed us all around there and let us purchase some small things.

They then took us to Henny's house (she live's in teh shanty town) and showed us the inside etc. Then she, along with her sisters (who were funny) walked us around the shanty town a little while and gave us some local alcoholic drink made from some form of wheat or something. It was actually pretty good, kind of smelled like yeast. So we hung out there a while and then she stayed there and we went with Victory to a bar that his cousin owns in the shanty town. Kind of weird... but it was alot of fun, we drank and played pool for a while. The power went out a couple times, but it just made it more fun to play in the dark. Then he took us out and it was dark and you could see a whole city of lights it was really pretty. Then we head back home. And all of us Harnas people got lasagna!

They said that they didn't think we would be getting online much if at all while at harnas though, so I am really sorry if I don't get anything on here while I am there, but I will put stuff on as soon as I get back.

Well, pick up is tomorrow morning, so wish me luck.

Love you all!

P.S.- mom i got a picture of the cow head so you don't have to worry about that!

Mat- Sorry if i don't get to talk to you very much while I am there, I will try to at least call a little though but I can't guarantee I will get to at all. Love you

Advertisement



18th July 2008

Blasted Off
I am glad to hear you are having fun already and you are not even there yet. That is cool that you have met people going with you. I hope every day is such a new and exciting experience for you!!!! How can it not be. Can't wait to see the head. What did a dried slug taste like? I looked up Katatura on google and I seen alot of metal shantys. Is that a shanty town? Have a safe time! Sorry the mom coming out in me. Can't wait to hear from you again.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb