Namibia 2008 - Final Entry


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
March 19th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last entry for the trip. Good news about Craigs wallet, he got the contents back, not the cash. Someone found it in a dumpster and returned it to the school he is at.

Because this is a public blog, others can search it and find info on Namibia, so I am creating this entry for others that want info on Namibia. Based on this, the only bad experience I had was at the gas station in Okahandja. Traveling south on the B1 highway, it is the first Okahandja exit, take a left, first gas station on the left as you enter town. About 45 minutes drive North of Windhoek. For other travelers, keep your guard up at the gas stations, none of them are self serve, attendants fuel your car and can be very good at distracting tourists (you) while they attempt to steal items from your car.

Arrived home to CT at about 4pm. Took a 1.5 hour flight from Windhoek to JoBerg in S Africa. Took a 10.5 hour flight from JoBerg to Amsterdam, took an 8 hour flight from there to Connecticut.

I would highty recommend going to this part of the world on vacation. Namibia is a very modern country with good roads and infrastructure. Many of the businesses are owned by Germans, there is a strong German history in Namibia. I found out that there are many sites to see in southern Africa. Victoria Falls and many national game parks exist in all of the countries in this region. I met many people who rented a car and traveled on their own for several weeks at a time without any bad experiences along with people who participated in organized tours. Do a google search on "african safaris" to see what is available. I stayed at the Frans Indongo Lodge about 3.5 hours north of Windhoek. A very nice stay. I also stayed in Windhoek at the
Tamboti Guest house . A very nice and comfortable place to stay that is very close to the city center. I drove 2500k in 10 days and only saw a small portion of the country. Namibia is very spread out and open. You have to travel many hours to see the most popular sites. Etosha national park is a great destination any time of the year. May through October is their cool dry season. November through January is their hot dry season and February through April is their warm wet season. In March, the weather was fantastic, usually in the 70's to 90 degrees every day with rain showers several days a week. There was NO threat of malaria in Etosha. The day and evenings were relatively bug free.

Thanks to everyone who added comments to my entries. I enjoyed reading them while I was away.

Thanks, Dave.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb