Tuesday - 2nd Day at Placement & City Tour


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer » Rabat
September 28th 2010
Published: September 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another long day coming to a close! Too forever to get to sleep as some sat out in the garden with the hookah and were a bit loud --- close to 1 AM before sleep. I hope it is quieter tonight!

We headed off to the Orphanage this morning at 7:40 and I went in with the babies again. It was quite hot today and even hotter in the Orphanage. When we arrive all the babies were just rising. They sleep/live in the nursery beds that you see in the hospital nurseries. They are all swaddled in and they have them dressed in not only onesies but long sleeve/long plant sleepers. I was melting!! When they bathe the babies they close all the windows.

They go through and strip the babies one baby at a time and they bathe them. They then would diaper and dress them in onesies and full sleepers again. Once all the babies are washed and clean they prepare the bottles. I helped dress the babies and then I helped feed. The babies are sooooo adorable!

The pink nest (babies) got busy with a group of nursing students so I crossed the hall and went over to the 6-12 month group. During the day they put the kids in these huge playpens maybe 10x10. I climbed in with a few other volunteers and tried to entertain the kids. They have the kids play with balloons - inflated balloons. i was so surprised. One of the girls in the 6-12 group is special needs...fetal alcohol syndrome I think and she has a bunch of teeth - she was chewing on the balloon. I had a vision of her choking on the darn thing.

I moved over to the 1-2 year old group where there are 10 children. Of those children all but 3 are adopted...the three with special needs have not been adopted. I think the three with special needs have Cerebal Palsy. It is so terribly sad - they get no therapy. I think the quality of life is quite poor. It's very sad but as I sad before the nurses/staff are really great - they love the children.

After placement we had lunch...another interesting lunch of which I have no idea what it was. 😊 After lunch I went on a tour of the city. We went first to the Mauseleum
Minaret Minaret Minaret

Minaret started to be built in 1100 but was never completed. It is only half the height it was intended to be. It was going to be the largest mosque in the world.
of Mohammed V. This is the tomb of the current kings's father, grandfather and brother. It took 7 years to build with intricate tile work. Every entrance has a royal guard - it is very beautiful. Next to it is a Mosque - remember I cannnot go in the mosque - only Muslims. It is not a Muslim law that you cannot enter the mosque but a law enacted the French that they have held onto. The only mosque a non muslim can enter is just one...the one in Casablanca -- 3rd largest in the world.

This was also the site of the Hassan Mosque. It was intended to be the largest mosque in the world but with the death of the king in 1199 the work stopped and the minaret is only half the size and all that is left is part of the outside walls and the columns. It is quite a reverent place.

We then went over to the Kasbah de Oudaias. What is a Kasbah (or Casbah)? It's a fort....it's funny how many people didn't know that. LOL. The Kasbah was built in the 12 century as well and is gorgeous. Inside we saw
014014014

Minaret - the posts are all from 1100 -- more than 300 posts to hold up what would have been the largest mosque in the world.
the oldest mosque in Rabat that was also built in the 12th century and restored in the 18th. We walked all through the Kasbah with the climbing winding streets painted blue and white. At the end is the Signal Platform with amazing views of the Atlantic and the next time Sale. We were also able to see the formal Andalusion gardens. Beautiful... I never knew the Andalusions were Muslim -- I am learning alot!

When then went over to the Medina and walked from one end to other. Not nearly as crazy as it was on late Sunday afternoon but still very exotic. No one has really even bought anything yet -- it's like you have to get your nerve up -- the bargaining is quite a process!!

When I got back I was tired but ending up staying up until after 12 with Jean, Ina, Heidi and Chad laughing. It was a nice evening! Back at placement in the morning!








Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

018018
018

Me at the gorgeous entrance to the Mosque at the Mauseleum of Mohammed V. Only Muslims can enter mosques in Morocco - this is a French law
021021
021

Royal Guards that guard the Tomb. There are 4 entrances and all 4 are guarded.
022022
022

Me posing with the Royal Guard at the entrance to the tomb
034034
034

View of the Mauseleum - utterly gorgeous. Took 7 years to build the mosaics inside were amazing.
036036
036

Pix of piece of the wall around the tomb - built 1100
046046
046

Tower in the Kasbah des Oudaias. The Andalusian gardens in the foreground.
049049
049

Inside the Kasbah...gorgeous
058058
058

The beach - view from top of the Kasbah
067067
067

Outside of the Kasbah....built in the 12th century
069069
069

Entrance to the old media


29th September 2010

I am so proud to call you my mom. You do all these fun adventures and all of it for no money at all. I love you mom and I cant wait to read your blog tomorrow to hear more about your adventures in Morocco.
29th September 2010

Hey babe, Im really sorry I missed your skype today. Looks like the tour was alot of fun. I hope you get some sleep tonight. Talk to you tomorrow. Love ya.
29th September 2010

Love Hearing Your "Adventures"
Christie ~ You guys are all awesome and what a writer you are! I felt like I was there :) and to no surprise to I see you with the babies! Alice
29th September 2010

Thanks Alice....I'm of course drawn right to the babies. It's funny how many volunteers are not baby fans! LOL
29th September 2010

Fascinating!
Hi Christie, So far your trip sounds incredibly fascinating. The photos are really great. You need to post one of you wearing whatever it is that you have to wear on your head. Some questions: What is a hookah? If the kids are pllaying with blown up baloons, do they have any age-appropriate toys like stuffed animals or anything? Is the beach used by people - and if so, what would women wear? I hope you get some sleep. At least you got your favorite bunk - the bottom! It's hard for me to imagine buildings that are so ancient - 11th century !! Keep writing, it's awesome reading. Love, Mom
29th September 2010

Thanks....A Hookah is like a water bong - a communal pipe. You smoke tobacco and not the funny stuff. (although I'm sure you could!) They do have some age appropriate toys but not alot of them. My blog today will tell you something about the toys...yucko! yes, you can go to the beach. Women - they do go to the beach. Some women will wear bathing suits and others wear full dress (caftan/jellaba, etc). A couple of the girls just went to the beach about an hour ago. You really see ALL styles of dress here!
29th September 2010

I think I would rather work with the babies too-mothering is a universal language! I had just assumed you would need to wear a veil there but I guess they're flexible about that?
29th September 2010

Yes, Morocco is pretty cosmopolitan city. You see women in all manner of dress from jeans and T's to full traditional clothing and everything in between!! The more rural you get and the more traditional it gets though. Mothering really is the universal language isn't it!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb