Booze Cruise & Goat on a Spit


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
July 18th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi from Malawi!!!

Well since we last updated the blog we have been fortunate enough to be spending a lot of time at the beach! Nice!!!

Previously I mentioned we were on Zanzibar island - what a crazy 3 days that was. As you can imagine we were over the moon at spending three nights in beach bungalows - it was like real life civilation with an ensuite including shower and everything! (the water was cold but we have definitely mastered the limb by limb washing process required for all cold showers).

A highlight on Zanzibar was the team booze cruise on the second night. We were picked up from the shore on this mmm boat type thing (called a Dhow or Dow or something) that had a sail and half a second level and spent three hours drinking as much as we possibily could - as kiwis would do! At one point two of the team jumped overboard for a swim and after a while we decided we better go back and pick them up. As the Konyagi (local gin) was sinking in, it seemed totally appropriate for the whole boat to start singing the baywatch theme and then as we approached the swimmers I took a wee dive off the top deck to resuce them (??? drunk logic). Later that night the kareoke machine was out and minus numerous power outages was highly amusing.

Fair to day the next day was very rough, so Al and some of the guys decided the easiest way to rectify that was to get back on the beers at 10.30am for a day of drinking - they were very funny to watch by the afternoon. (In my defence, while Nic was in bed I was out trying to master the art of donuts on my hired 250cc dirt bike).

So after Zanizbar we had a couple of loooooooong driving days which has almost broken the back of a few punters (being truck bound for 12 hours, freezing cold from the wind bc the sides up to prevent "disease" spreading does take it's toll). But the end result was crossing into Malawi (no visa fees... yay!) and driving to Kandi beach on Lake Malawi. Coming from NZ it has taken getting used to a fresh water lake with white sand beaches (where is the salt???).

Anywho, yestrday we had 21st birthday for Aaron on our truck (our youngest team member) - what a day! A few quiet beers from midday until 4pm, when the very alcoholic (Konyagi again) punch (all in for $5 - result!) and goats on the spit started. What a HUGE nite. Well it would have been in most everyone hadn't passed out by about 9pm... (except Al of course!)

The day after was a good one. Nothing at all to do, but swim, eat and attempt to rehydrate...

But alas at 06h00 this morning the relaxation was over as it was back to the grind of packing up the sleeping equipment & tents and getting back on "Eeyore" for more travelling to the capital of Malawi (where we are now having scoffed some delightful Nando's for lunch - ahhhhh luxuries!)

Again, a lack of quality fotos due to the complete lack of DVD readers at any internet cafe here and flat camera batteries. But we hope the few here will suffice until you all come over for the traditional dinner and "slide show"..........................


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The "Zanzibar Bongers"The "Zanzibar Bongers"
The "Zanzibar Bongers"

An interesting quartet indeed...


20th July 2007

drunky drunk
sounds like a good old fashioned knees up! i'm loving the detail of the drinks..how much they cost etc. good work!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb