A side dish


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
July 18th 2009
Published: July 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vegetable soupVegetable soupVegetable soup

It was actually canned vegetables but seemed like a chunky vegetable soup.
The Mother Cathy asked if it was ok to give the kids a bit of a checkup. She said there was not much she could do, as generally to diagnose nowadays relies on tests and results which she would not have access to. Still, she could do a general general. A few of the kids suffered from basic malnutrition, and anemia. Things like lack of protein and iron. There is not a lot of meat going around. Writing this from the end, I didn't eat any meat while at the centre.
Cathy went along with her family to the medical centre as she had bought a couple of general drugs that she wanted to hand over to someone that was medically inclined in return for some checkups for the centre. It sounded like there were no real doctors at the centre and although that sounds bad, Cathy was optimistically impressed with the systems at the centre, so people knew what to do for very serious incidents. One thing they were very good at was their HIV/AIDS testing. Apparently in England you could wait up to 6 weeks for HIV/AIDS results, but the the health centre could produce results in 15 minutes.
There are some good people even in Kenya, they are working with what they have to try and eliviate the sufferings of others.
The short visit by this family had an undeniable positive impact. But I still hold to my new world view on Africa's problems, and Africa needs more good people trying to make a difference like Eddy and Pauline and Fred etc, all these people, it sounds pointless but I believe if prayers could go out to them to strengthen and keep them, change will come as it will be brought about by the people themselves because they wanted it. Not because of foreign pity intervention.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb