A Day in Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woman in NairobiWoman in NairobiWoman in Nairobi

Getting her hair extensions and braids out so they can be redone. The women in Nairobi have gorgeous braids and hairstyles.
Our hotel (Panafric) provides all the amenities of a Vancouver 4 star with the additional security of a room safe and security guard on every floor (big smile and no gun). At the hotel entrance on our way out for an afternoon walk we were advised to be back by 5 PM and the security folk there had guns.

Lots of people walking on the street although we saw buses which were crowded and tightly packed. Women very smart in bright colored long dresses. Men in drab tee shits and baggy pants, a few children in bare feet.
 
Of course we were marks for every safari broker in Nairobi. Some asked about Canada (my Canada flag pin a give away) but were disappointed when we said we were leaving with a group and took their pamphlet back. They were the easy group to discourage. The much more persistent were at the "market" selling crafts in small stalls. Kayla went into every stall, giving every owner equal time, but did not buy any crafts. Richard stood outside the stall talking to the local "finder" about me as a Obama look a like, Canadian winters and how men in Africa rule women. Two women unbraiding ones hair in a stall let Kayla photograph them for a dollar a shot and enjoyed seeing the results.

We got back to the security of the hotel before 5 and rested by the pool until supper and our meeting with our travel companions (a full truck of 20 from UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand). The truck driver Malinga took in about $ US 20,000 as the kitty for food to buy. I hope he gets to the bank tonight.

We are off to Tanzania tomorrow, heading into the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater for about a week, so it's unlikely we will have Internet for a while.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb