Were only half the group we use to be


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 18th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello all currently in Nairobi got one more day here after a day of mourning yesterday when we have had 10 people leave the truck, its gonna be a lot more quiet.

Anyway i will start were i left off had a couple of nights in Kampala and then we headed off to Bujagali falls, was pretty cool here the first day i did some volunteering which meant we went and painted some classrooms was fun although Linse decided to have a paint fight so got a little messy, Was fun though and it is a great little charity a really good cause as they help out loads of schools and have thir own centers aswell.
After that, back to camp which is an amazing view over the nile and right below are rapids which you can white water raft down so guess what i did the next day?
Yes i tandem Kayaked the white water rapids, if you wanna know what it looks like go to this site www.kayakthenile.com it was absolutely incredible in a little bit of carbon fibre goin down grade 5 rapids although was a little scary when you went over as you are submerged below the kayak and if he cant flip you after 2 attempts how have to pull an emergency cord and you release yourself back to the surface, good way to feel what its like to nearly drown, also its so much more full on than the raft as you are what is getting pounded by the water but i recommend it to anyone for a nice extreme sport to try.

After Uganda we crossed into Kenya and headed towards Nairobi, we stopped at a farm camp were the next day we lent to vist Lake Nakuru and the park around it, was a beautiful park thousands of Flamingos and Pelicans on the lake and we were allowd to walk along the shore the problem was so were the hyenas at one point i fink the hyenas were about 100meters away from us and we was about 150meters away from our vans, luckily they didnt want humans for breakfast other wise we could have been killed, was good though.
Also saw 18 Rhinos in the park which was pretty special especially when one group of 2 females had a male start chasing them, the slight problem was the only thing they could run behind were the two vans so we had to make a mad dash otherwise we could have got flipped by the rhinos, lucky enough no1 got hurt but the other van was missed by only a couple of feet. Was a highlight of the day, also later that day back at the park entrance a school bus turned up with loads of kids on who started throwing food to the monkeys walking about, i dont think they will do that again as one monkey climb in through the bus window to a fit of screams from the kids inside and then come bounding out again with a bag of cup cakes which he opened and started eatin on the wall, quiet funny.

After there headed to Lake Naivasa were a few of us did a bike ride into Hells gate national park, which has in there cheetah, hyena and leopard, a leopard was actually spotted by people on bikes the day before we went, sadly all we saw was 6 giraffes, zebra, ostrich, warthog, gazelle and elland was soo amazing and the scenery was spectacular even after i fell off coming down a hill cos of no grip on my front tyre. Good old Africa
Also met the most amazing bloke this day, he had witnessed his brother and friend get shot down dead infront of him with 9 other people, only he survived because the blood of his brother was falling on him so they fort it was his blood, then when working to stop poachers he saw 2 of his friends shot dead and he only just survived and managed to shoot the poachers down from the tree, out of 11 people he did this job with after one year only 3 of the original men were still alive. That is alot of sorrow for a 22 year old to experience but still he was so friendly and polite to us we chatted for atleast an hour with him, really makes you feel so insignificant and i was in awe of this man.

So after here we headed into Nairobi quite a nice city went pictures with Linse and Jen to see bond must admit not the best bond film ever although i nearly wet myself from the sound of that Aston Martin, what a car. We went and ate at Carnivore that night, i recommend it to anyone except Vegies, its an all you can eat meat fest. All you do is have a flag if the flag is still up they keep brining you meat, we had Crocodile, Ostrich, Lamb, Beef, Pork, chicken and Turkey was really good food.
They day after I went with Jen and Linse to Kibera which are the 2nd biggest slums in the world and biggest in Africa, was really cool as the girls wanted to give away some clothes to the maternity hospital and churches, we even went to a bar in the middle of the slums and the people were quite friendly and got the girls up dancing, a few dodgy looks but not that bad, really does make you appreciate what you have when they are livin in tin shacks with sewage canal gutters.

They day after is the big leaving day so we had to say by to a few of the guys it has been quite sad and there are now only 11 of us on the truck as 10 have left, and they will all be missed greatly by the group especially a few of them who i look at now as good friends.

So will be in Nairobi for another nite but its tight arsed tuesdays at the pizza place so buy one pizza get one free so i will have pizza for lunch tomorrow aswell now which is a great treat on a truck driving day as its normally stale bread and salad, although sometime we are lucky and the bread is even freshish.
It will be weired once im home.
Anyway speak again soon mite not be for a while now as we are going into northern kenya and guess were that bloke first saw his brother get shot???
But we may be lucky as sometimes you get an armoured escort how cool would that be.
Anyway hope everyone is well enjoyin the weather my nose is peeling at the moment cos i burnt it yesterday. hahahahahaha : )


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb